38,000 Lumen Video Light vs. 32 Guide Number Strobe for taking Still Photos, pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned even 19000/38000 is on par with a decent entry level strobe like the Sea & Sea YS-01 or Inon D2000.

If you are referring just to the use as an instantaneous strobe, I understand. However if it is capable of 38,000 lumens continuous light that is what I'm referring to. Of course the Cousteaus (who I've worked with several times over the past 5 decades) and other major underwater cinematographers have employed huge banks of lights when filming. I doubt this unit would be one that everyday videographers would employ... or is it compact enough to be?

It consists of two light heads, which are smaller than Sola 4000s, cabled to a battery pack/controller. The battery has to supply 38,000 lumens so the battery pack is substantial. We actually mounted the Nauticam OMD camera housing on top of it. Really size is not an issue, this is designed to be very manageable by one shooter. Recently the trend in this hobby seems to be going "back to the future"; light heads cabled to a battery slung under your video/still housing, requiring some form of floatation. Long time video shooters will feel right at home as will most DSLR shooter that used S&S YS250s with a video light.

What is the weight of the battery pack (thinking baggage weight restrictions on flights)?

Not sure but it is significant, it is a battery the size of a phone book. If you are packing this come to terms with paying for an extra bag, going big costs, lol.

looks like LED panels. im sure this is an early attempt at a new approach to lighting. in a few years, this will be the "norm" in strobe technology and we'll all be looking back at this moment like this post was the early advent of the atari 2600.

i hope this works out.

:) I have had the same idea - just for DIY.

Reasons I left the idea:
1) Light quality of the strobe tubes is much better than the LED's - much better spectrum. But for filming it's fine.
2) Normally there's a lot of phosphor on the LEDs, so they won't make a short flash - so you won't freeze movement like with a strobe.

Third comment: You are comparing to an YS-D1 with diffuser. It's much less than guide number 32 with the diffuser.

EskilJ, actually I purposely did not use the diffusers so it would be a "true" 32 Guide Number. I put them on when I got out of the water so I would not loose them, as they were in my BC pocket.

As mentioned I would like to see the results with the video light set to a cooler spectrum. Like all things it is the battery tech that is a major limiting factor.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom