3m or 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weighting isn't so much of an issue for me. Never done FW. I've only dived in the NE Atlantic and am used to my 7mm and about 25lbs of weight. I use a Balance so no belt and the weight is fairly well distributed. I'm probably gonna skip the 3mm and dive with what I have. I'd rather spend the money on camera rentals. Thanks for all of the advice. If I free up some cash between now and September I'll get the 3mm and bring both suits just to be safe.

If you go with the 7mm ,it just sounds like alot of work just to bring that heavy a suit and then put it on/off multiple times a day and with all that weight.
I ( 6' and weight 170lbs)use a 5mm on peice suit for the first 3 days then if I get cold later in the week I layer with a 3mm vest/hood.This is for diving 4/5 times a day.
If you are tall and thin go with the 5mm.If you are a heavy build then a 3mm will be adequate.Stay away from cheap suits that are flatstitched instead of glued and lockstitched.The flatstitched has thousands of tiny holes from the stitching that allows water exchange -the neosport suits are built that way,therefore the low price.If you want a feature/benefit run down on suits let me know and if you are in the area(westchester-Yonkers) I can be in store and assist you.I have group going to Bonaire May 31...

Id stick with the 7mm. It'll be fine in the water. If it does get warm you can flush it.

Too hot is easy to fix, too cold isnt.

I had the same question about a trip to Key Largo in November.

I ended up diving with my 5mm rather than buying a 3mm. The best advice I got was from someone on here that suggested, like String just did, to open the neck a little and let some water in if you get too warm. Worked perfectly. The thicker suit worked fine for me and I ended up saving $$.

your answer
Bonaire Dive and Adventure - FAQ & Tips

The water there is 80+degrees If you are from NY I would think No Suit would be good. 82 deg is like a swimming pool in the Summer. I am from southern CA "the OC" and I don't even Wear a Suit when the water is above 72. as long as you are swimming you will be warm. If you stop for 10 minutes to take a Photo you might want a 3mm Shorty. Ebay they are cheep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom