3rd dive and flooded... oly pt-050 help me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok one suspect less
Was it an easy dive or more challenging? Do you remember if the housing was fogging up? Did you have a desiccant in the housing?

yes i had desiccant on the housing, i might have installed incorrectly and moved the camera..probably

Camera sent to Olympus, let's wait :)

Definitely send the camera and housing back to Olympus. I had almost the exact same experience that you did. A flood with no discernable reason and the loud pop upon opening the housing and difficulty closing the housing after the flood as though the housing had been distorted in some way. Olympus replaced the camera and tested the housing but didn’t replace it. When the housing came back to me it was closing fine and I took it on 2 dives empty and two with the camera and didn’t have any problems.

Definitely send the camera and housing back to Olympus. I had almost the exact same experience that you did. A flood with no discernable reason and the loud pop upon opening the housing and difficulty closing the housing after the flood as though the housing had been distorted in some way. Olympus replaced the camera and tested the housing but didn’t replace it. When the housing came back to me it was closing fine and I took it on 2 dives empty and two with the camera and didn’t have any problems.

nice to hear that, so it is on it way to olympus...

any way regarding of what happen i will buy another xz-1, the quality of the pictures i got is amazing..

so olympus said, xz-1 to the trash can and the housing will be repaired and tested for $100 usd...

so i am will have to buy a new xz-1

So they have put it down to operator error. On the bright side they are fixing the housing, they could have condemed that as well. $100 is not a lot to pay for a tested housing.

I am not surprised of the outcomes. Olympus would have only replaced the camera if there was some evidence that the fault was caused by the battery overheating and short circuiting on his own and not because the leak was already there.
Flooding insurance would have costed less and it is a good practice to have it in place for the future

the housing is back....

its been fix and now it close as it should...

buying the xz1 again... :)

I feel your pain, I just flood my second XZ-1.... firts one I didn´t grease the O-ring for 2 dives, this time i was stupid enough to let the little thin cord that holds the part to darken the view of the screen get between the oring and the housing. Worst part of it.... it was the best dive of my life, 30m viz, whaleshark, mantas, grey reef shark circling around us, huge green turtle, I am more upset about the videos and pictures I lost that for the camera itself..... I am considering buying one of those cameras that are waterproof to 10m and housing.... I am so O-ring useless is becoming too expensive...

Don't give up. First you dont need to grease the O rings every time you open the housing. The pro who taught me recommended once or twice per week.
His major recomendations were
DO NOT HURRY
ONLY OPEN IN THE HOTEL ROOM
I finaly ignored the first point and flooded my C-8080

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom