4 Day Trip - Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetwillys

Reaction score
I am planning on going on a trip in the next few months. I was recently certified in November. We traveled to Key Largo for our certification. I went out to Tahiti in March and was excited to dive. After jumping in the water with the 10-12 black tip reef sharks (who were cruising around the boat), I confirmed my nightmare...my sinuses were too clogged to head to the bottom...so I am itching to get back in the water. My question is: Do I go back to the Florida Keys or do I try the Bahamas? I enjoy seeing big fish and sharks! What is the diving like in the Bahamas? How does it compare with the Keys? Thanks for all your insight!

Wetwillys:
I am planning on going on a trip in the next few months. I was recently certified in November. We traveled to Key Largo for our certification. I went out to Tahiti in March and was excited to dive. After jumping in the water with the 10-12 black tip reef sharks (who were cruising around the boat), I confirmed my nightmare...my sinuses were too clogged to head to the bottom...so I am itching to get back in the water. My question is: Do I go back to the Florida Keys or do I try the Bahamas? I enjoy seeing big fish and sharks! What is the diving like in the Bahamas? How does it compare with the Keys? Thanks for all your insight!

Since I spent 2 years on a sailboat in the Bahamas running a sail/dive charter, I'm incredibly biased towards these Islands. Just remember that the chain is much more than just New Providence (where Nassau is situated). You can get walls, reefs, drift dives, the works. All depending on where you want to be & your budget.

So check it out! :thumb:

I dove several sights last year off Paradise Island, and the other side of the Island for a shark dive. Wonderful diving, and is only about 30-40 feet down with 100ft vis. I got certified with Bahama Divers and went with them last year as well. I find them to be a class act with great DM's.
The boat ride for the reef dives is under an hour and so close to the top.
Best of luck in your decision...
Bill

Wetwillys:

Never been to the Keys but I strongly recommend the island of Bimini in the Bahamas. You will see lots of big fish there. We were just there in Nov. Since it is so close to continental shelf, you see the big fish.

We dove with Bill & Nowlda's Bimini Undersea and stayed at the Big Game resort. Bill & Nowlda's runs an excellent dive op. Accomodations at Big Game club are typical "island" style. Not the Ritz but relatively clean & working a/c.

Warning: there is not much else to do in Bimini. I think it's a more happening place in the summer because of big game fishing. When we were there in Nov., not much choice in restaurants, no nightlife.

Need to take a sea plane to get there, which is kind of fun. Chaulks air leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale & Miami. Only a 25 min. flight. It's relatively inexpensive to fly to the Bahamas compared to Bonaire or Belize.

I expect Nassau & Freeport would be much more crowded with more nightlife & restaurant choices. I don't think the diving in these places is as good, however, as Bimini or the Exumas. I'll be stopping in Nassau while on a cruise in a couple of weeks. Intend to do a two-tank while there.

If you don't mind camping at sea, Blackbeards is alot of fun.

There are a couple of long weekend trips on their site, leaving Friday, and returning Tuesday. I would think there would be a shark-feed dive included, but I am not sure.

Email them if you are interested, they are really nice people.

Here is a link to their site: http://blackbeard-cruises.com

Another option for Bimini would be to take the sea plane over,
and dive with one of the operator's suggested above.

I have been out with Blackbeards three times and am going on my fourth trip in July, so I am a bit biased. :wink:

I have always wanted to try the seaplane though.
Here is a link for Chalks: http://chalksoceanairways.com

Ken

I like the Bahamas better. Key Largo was great, but I think the vis and the life on the reefs was much better in Nassau. I dove with Dive, Dive, Dive in the Bahamas and did the shark feeding dive. This was something you have to experience if you like big fish and sharks.

Just my 2 cents.

Pat

What would the water be like in March? My wife wants to go diving for our 20th wedding anniversary and we're looking at different sites. Would the temp be OK?

I am thinking it might be a bit cool, Blackbeards site suggests a 6mm or better... :11: of course you mileage may vary.

I just returned from my first trip to Cozumel, and March seems to be one of the better times to visit, as far as rain and temps go.

I wore a full 3mm and was very comfortable. You might look at the Cozumel forum if you have never been, the reefs seemed very healthy and I am pretty sure it's manditory for all certified divers to make the trip at least once. :wink:

Ken

I have a quick question. If I can get to Lauderdale or Miami via car, what is the cheapest way to get to either Nassau or Bimini?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom