4 deep dives in one day on Duane and Bibb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stealthtransam: I think what rjack, blackwood, and others are trying to tell you is that "I always want enough air for emergency stops" doesn't cut it if you're as serious about dive planning as you claim to be. Bob (NWGratefulDiver) has an excellent primer on gas management that will give you some sense of the calculations you should be planning for. Blackwood's questions (what happens if you're delayed by 5 minutes on the bottom? Hint--it's *huge* difference in gas reserves needed) should be a starting point.

I think if you actually run the numbers based on conservative assumptions you'll be shocked at how much more gas you need than you think you do. And it starts with not just planning air for emergency stops, but factoring in delays on the bottom, sharing air with your teammate in case of gas loss, and increased RMV from being in a stressed state if anything goes wrong.

halemano

FYI I shoot a similar camera i shoot the Oly 4000 in the PT-010

halemanō is your bail out bottle a 30 or 40?

good copy/paste :D

yes I was looking at the blacks. :shocked2:

Those pics are from back in my Nikonus V days, with Nikonus 20 mm lens. You have reminded me to update my sig line, now;

Canon S95 / Recsea / INON AD's / Ike DS200, QR Arm & EV / Nikonus SB-101 Tray (mod)

:dork2:

My buddies "stage" is a 30 cft; I'm thinking it was 32%, but maybe 28% like his 80. :idk:

b-bye; Oly 5050 & PT-015 / INON WAL / Ike SS200 PC & Slave Sensor / Modified Nikonus SB-101 tray

gsk3 thanks for the wonderful article! This was really what i was getting to in my rant earlier. If your going to point out an area that someone is overlooking educate then don't demean them.

Last edited:
Hi,
we have both the Duane and the Bibb in our simulator.

With the sim you can (virtually) dive them ahead of your trip (just don't touch the lionfishes :wink:)
Our sim is using Buhlman ZH-L16C (with our own fine tuning) so our NDLs might be different from the one provided by your dive computer, so, for REAL diving use the data provided by your dive computer.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

gsk3 thanks for the wonderful article! This was really what i was getting to in my rant earlier. If your going to point out an area that someone is overlooking educate then don't demean them.

Don't thank me, thank Bob :wink:

And I think perhaps you're being a little sensitive. It's the internet, and some really experienced divers took the time to point you in the right direction. Understand that when you come on asking for advice on how to do a 150 foot dive without tech training, "please don't" is a perfectly acceptable answer!

Now you have since clarified that you weren't interested in really going to 150 just in contingency planning. 130 is somewhat different than 150, at least.

+1 on the Silent World recommendation as well.

Me and my business partner dove with them in October - other than some windy seas and some boat trouble it was a great trip. Did 16 dives during 6 days or so of diving.

Hard to view on my phone so I won't comment on the gas calcs other than to say the workflow looks reasonable.

Is CNS a concern?

Are you considering "turn around time" and "rock bottom" to be one and the same?

Kudos for posting this. Hopefully the following discussion is productive.

Blackwood my pO2 will be 1.4 and my total consumption will be well under the daily CNS02 for a 24 hour period from my calculations. Thanks for the O2 comment. I have to say I think that hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread =)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom