4-Pin Computer to Replace HUD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just noticed the 4-pin Petrel 3. Is there a reason why one couldn't be used to replace the HUD and BO computer? Seems like it would be better at monitoring PPO2 and also useful for bailing out on, rather than having two devices. Is it only a cost problem?

depends on the rebreather. If it's an analog HUD then it is as simple as replacing the wires but it will all depend on the CCR as to how easy that is.
On a JJ, for example.

On a JJ, for example.
If it is the current JJ then no, it does not have provisions for an analog output. You could have the DiveCAN monitor output changed to the 5-pin connector and use that for a Petrel but you would have to send the head back. In either instance the 4-pin is an analog monitor cable so is only useful for older rebreathers or mCCR

If it is the current JJ then no, it does not have provisions for an analog output. You could have the DiveCAN monitor output changed to the 5-pin connector and use that for a Petrel but you would have to send the head back. In either instance the 4-pin is an analog monitor cable so is only useful for older rebreathers or mCCR
Great, thanks for the info :)

Replace the HUD? as in run no HUD at all?

The 4-wire NERD (on my rEvo) gives the backup computer and still an eye display.

What about plugging a 5 wire petrel or Nerd into the 5 wire monitor side of a Dive CAN RB (mine is Optima CM, but I imagine the answer would be the same for any RB that uses Dive CAN) Will that work?

What about plugging a 5 wire petrel or Nerd into the 5 wire monitor side of a Dive CAN RB (mine is Optima CM, but I imagine the answer would be the same for any RB that uses Dive CAN) Will that work?
Reviving this old topic. What happens if you plug a Petrel or a NERD to the connection going to the Shearwater HUD? I am asking specifically for an OptimaCM in case that matters.

Back
Top Bottom