400 yard swim in less then 12 minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today, my swim was 300 yards in 8:30, using mostly crawl, but a half lap or two of other strokes. Didn't push it, though, since the swim was only the first stage...it was followd immediately by a 16 mi. bike ride and a 3.1 mi. run. (We're practicing for a triathlon next weekend.)

And what does age have to do with it? 46? Don't let your youthful "inexperience" bother you a bit! Just keep going!
; )

Kate thank you for your input,I feel more comfortable with the breast stroke,I haven't swam in a long time so when I got to the pool my intention was just to see how I felt after doing the 25 yards and see what time it took,Starting next week I plan to put in 100 yard swims slowly building up until I'm comfortable with doing all 16 laps.did they make you float for 10 minutes as well?Don't know how many divers I will compete with just want to be able to do the best I can.Ok a few of you mention the crawl is that a side stroke?

Totally missed your post, my apologies! Better late than never I guess...

Working up to it is good, makes sense. Just to clarify, my point was that I'd wait to count on "per lap" times as having any meaning until you can comfortably swim 3-400 yards at that steady pace.

Crawl is the same thing as freestyle.

Yes we did the 10 minute float, hands out of water the last five or two minutes, I can't remember. To me, that was the easiest test there was... I was still in the water and floated... no need to go nuts bicycling or anything. When it came time to hold hands up, just hold them right out of water. Of course, if it's not something one has done before, it's a good idea to practice, bc it does feel kind of strange.

Finally, you mention something about competing... I could be off base but I'd be surprised if you are actually "competing" against others... could it be that you are concurrently testing with other candidates (vs. competing)? Might help to look at it that way if that is, in fact, the case.

the crawl will always be the most effective stroke for both covering distance and time.
450 M in 12 minutes should be easily achievable with this stroke.
Like some others, I swim constantly and the only stroke i use is the freestyle (crawl), even for a novice swimmer with a semi effective crawl they should easily cover 450 within 12 minutes.

I've done it twice, once for rescue and once for AAUS and both times I used a controlled breast stroke. A good stroke and steady pace will get you there easily in 11 mins. Good luck !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom