400 yard swim in less then 12 minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning everyone,thanks for all the suggestions.Last night was my first practice at the Ymca pool.
here are the times I clocked in so far
breast stroke=34.9 in 25 yards then I tried the freestyle my times was slow 29.6 then I picked the pace up a little and had a lap of 24.7 for 25 yards.The pool is 25 yards long so 16 laps seems like forever.I think after a week or so just swimming 25-50 yards I will post a 100 yard time
Thanks again everyone.

I believe there is a sliding scale with points based on your time. There are other requirements for DM so you don't have to ace the swim time, you just get less points.

Others have mentioned, but I'll reiterate: are you more comfortable doing crawl,or breast/side stroke? In the past six months I've taken this test or a variation of it for diving at the Aquarium and for various classes. Each time I've used breast stroke, which is fairly slow but steady, and averaged less than one second/yard. As has been mentioned, breast stroke (or side stroke) is less physically demanding than the crawl (or the back stroke) but it *does* get the job done. The "glide" portion of the stroke, when done correctly, is what makes it easier. For this portion of the test, cumulative time is a lot more important than how fast one can accomplish one or two laps, so it would be more important to work on endurance for the 400 yard swims vs. being concerned with individual lap times.

When I tested for the GA Aquarium, I went to the pool the night before the test to make sure I could make the time. I had been working on the breathhold part but not the 400-yard swim, and it occurred to me I might should check to see if I could do it in the time allotted. Using breast stroke, I had plenty of time to spare without exhausting myself. YMMV.

Just wish I could use my times from 45-50 years ago when I was a competitive swimmer. We used to have to do 10 x 400 yards or 20 x 200 yards. Today I;d need a very strong reversing current to perform as fast as I did back then.

3 minutes per hundred for 400 yards is not a torrid pace, and I am sure you will do just fine. A freestyle stroke will tire you less than breast stroke at the same pace, in my opinion. Just pace youself at about 2:45 per minute to give yourself a cushion. I swim for exercise at 2 minutes per hundred and that is a very comfortable and leisurely pace for a 58 year old. No worries.
DivemasterDennis

Kate thank you for your input,I feel more comfortable with the breast stroke,I haven't swam in a long time so when I got to the pool my intention was just to see how I felt after doing the 25 yards and see what time it took,Starting next week I plan to put in 100 yard swims slowly building up until I'm comfortable with doing all 16 laps.did they make you float for 10 minutes as well?Don't know how many divers I will compete with just want to be able to do the best I can.Ok a few of you mention the crawl is that a side stroke?

Placing myself at high risk for criticism, I cannot believe the lack of swimming skills by some of my scuba colleagues. A 12 minute quarter mile is barely a crawl (sorry). Freestyle would seem to be the easiest way to fulfill the requirement though any stroke would likely due. I would like my buddy to have passable swimming ability, perhaps others think differently. I have the ability to help you, can you say the same?

Did exactly 10 minutes today. The first 2 laps I did the freestyle, face down method then finished the rest on my back.(more efficient kicks) I found floating on my back easier. I am older (46) and not too proud of my time.

I did my Fundies swim test (400 yards) in 10:30 sidestroke. I can do the crawl, but if I try to push the speed, I lose the timing on the breathing, and choke myself. I can swim forever sidestroke, even though it is slow.

Don't laugh, 3 lengths crawl, 1 length elem backstroke, repeat 4 times complementary muscles, backstroke rests for crawl

Back
Top Bottom