40D housing, ports, strobes, everything! HELP again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the field if view on the 60 and 100 is the same. It may appear to be smaller on the 100, but both are 24 degrees.

That is my biggest complain with the 60, its' narrow field of view.

Otherwise it is a spectacular lens, just narrow.

Actually the field if view on the 60 and 100 is the same. It may appear to be smaller on the 100, but both are 24 degrees.
It's a bit more complicated than that. The 100 is designed for 35mm film and full frame sensors and has a field of view of 24° when used with them. The 60 is designed for the smaller aps-c sensor with a crop factor of 1.6. When used on cameras with the smaller sensor (it can't actually be used on a camera with a full frame sensor) it has an equivalent focal length of 96mm and a field of view of 24°. If you put the 100 on a camera with a aps-c sized sensor it will have an equivalent focal length of 160 and a much narrower field of view than the 60 has on the same camera.

I use both lenses on my 40D, the 100 has a much narrower field of view than the 60.

I would suggest to the OP that he start with a 50mm or 60mm macro lens as his first underwater lens.

The 17-85 is a nice lens, but is neither fish nor fowl. The 50mm macro, OTOH, is great for.. well, macro obviously, but also for shooting fish portraits. And by working with 1 focal length, you eliminate one variable, which speeds up your learning curve when it comes to lighting and such.

I am a big proponent of zooms (all my income-earning wildlife/nature photo work, except for the supertele stuff, is done with zooms) - that may help you put my advice above in context.

Vandit

Any comments on the Canon 10-22 WA?

Yup, it's fan-tab-u-lous. Buy it. I love mine for topside work, though it is a bit of a specialty lens so doesn't get nearly as much use as it should but I'm discovering more and more uses for it, so I expect that to change over the next year.

The results I've seen underwater are great...and I say that because I almost never use it underwater as I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with wide angle in the first place, not because there is anything wrong at all with the lens. I just prefer macro LOL

Thanks. Thats what I thought. I already have a 60mm Macro so torn between a 17-85 zoom or a 10-22WA. Money is the issue :-(

which one would you recommend?

They are two totally different lenses for completely different purposes. I would recommend that you decide what it is you want to shoot (either on land or in water or both) and THEN we can start considering lenses :wink:

If you want to shoot wide angle underwater - I would recommend the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye. Much cheaper than the Canon 10-22 (I got mine for around $420), and has a much wider FOV on cropped sensor cameras like the 40D. The downside - fisheye lens aren't nearly as useful above water, due to lots of distortion. So if you want a quality WAL primarily for topside use - the rectilinear Canon is a better choice.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The 100 is designed for 35mm film and full frame sensors and has a field of view of 24° when used with them. The 60 is designed for the smaller aps-c sensor with a crop factor of 1.6. When used on cameras with the smaller sensor (it can't actually be used on a camera with a full frame sensor) it has an equivalent focal length of 96mm and a field of view of 24°. If you put the 100 on a camera with a aps-c sized sensor it will have an equivalent focal length of 160 and a much narrower field of view than the 60 has on the same camera.

I use both lenses on my 40D, the 100 has a much narrower field of view than the 60.

What Gudge said:D

The easy thing to remember is, FOV is proportional to the image sensor size divided by the lens focal length. So for a given sensor size - the FOV size is proportional to the focal length. (and remember, FOV and magnification are 2 separate issues)

Do people use cameras on land? :)

The issue is if I buy a WA then I have to decide which lens to use beforehnd. If I buy the zoom then I can be more flexible. In my normal dive sites I know exactly what I want and go with the correct lens. But when I am doing something new maybe the flexibility would be nice. Ideally i should buy both but cannt due to cost.

Hence the decision!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom