5/22/05 Dive Report for the Brass Spike Wreck (Virginia Beach, VA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I signed up for the Super Dive Weekend with Lynnhaven Dive Center awhile back, scheduled to dive the Morgan wreck. The temp was about 63 degrees and party cloudy, going to a high of 75 with a slight chance of rain in the afternoon. When I got there I loaded up my gear and tanks (100s with 31% Nitrox) on the dive boat. The marine forecast was for 10-15 mph winds with 3-6 ft waves. The Capt said we would go out about 8 miles and see how the conditions were and decided what to do from there. The seas were pretty choppy and we were bouncing around a bit. The Capt decided to not go to the Morgan but instead the Brass Spike.

The waves are around 4-6 ft and there was a bit of a current at the site. As we were putting our gear and they were anchoring and setting up, we were bouncing and rolling a bit. The vis was 0-5 ft, so we used a wreck reel. The wreck was pretty much gone. You know something was there but that’s about it. I saw a couple of small fish and that’s about it. Dive #1 stats: Depth: 82 ft, Bottom Time: 35 min, Temp: 53 degrees.

After seeing the unfavorable dive conditions most divers decided not to go back for a second dive. I thought about not going in but I had a full tank that was paid for and I wasn’t going to waste my money. I stayed around the anchor line, since the conditions were the same with very low vis. I watched a diver trying to get a lobster he had seen in his first dive but he couldn’t reach him. Dive #2 stats: Depth 74 ft, Bottom Time, 25 min, Temp: 53 degrees

This was my 2nd time diving at Virginia Beach and with the unrewarding dive experiences so far, its Morehead City, NC or bust.

Summary of the wrecks

Brass Spike. (85 fsw) A wooden hulled steam assisted sailing vessel that we discovered in 1994. A Brass sexton was found laying in the sand. This vessel has brass spikes (thus the name) in the hull and contains some of the biggest tautog you will ever see. The treasure of this wreck is waiting to be discovered.

John Morgan. (110 fsw) A 7,176 ton Liberty ship sunk on it's maiden voyage on June 1, 1943 after colliding with the SS Montana. The John Morgan was loaded with lend-lease cargo which included trucks, motorcycles, P-39 airplanes, 10 Valentine tanks and tons of assorted weapons. This is one of the most interesting wrecks off of the Virginia coast to explore.

Pedro

Thanks for the report Pedro. I was considering doing the Brass Spike next month, but was debating it since I was reading it wasn't very interesting. Now I have confirmation. Time to start looking elsewhere.

--don

Thanks Pedro and Don
Is there any info on the John Morgan online that I can look up.
Sounds interesting for some diving while in Virginia Beach in 2006.
Thanks
Erik B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom