5/31-8/13/09-Trip Report: Budget Diving Adventure in SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traditional markets in Kuta:

1lobmokmarket.jpg

1womeninlobmokmarketII.jpg

1marketandhorse.jpg

1womeninlombokmarket.jpg

More expansive stretchs of inviting beaches & little communities!

1ocean.jpg

1localhouse.jpg

1tree.jpg

1profileoncoastline.jpg

Searching for an adventure (after days of diving together in Tulamben Bali) my new fantastic partner and I leave the security of popular dive sites for some exploration.

Following vague directions we headed west along the north coast. After a few attempts finally one dirt road reaches a beautiful stretch of coast and a friendly farm family.

2newdivesite.jpg

We share a bit of anxiety wondering about currents, visibility as we scope out the site & procede with caution. It is quite possible we will be the first to see this amazing underwater- scape!

2scoutingadive.jpg

My partner scouting the site :).

Little Muslim children peer from the bushes as we gear up

2muslimchildren.jpg

Ready to check it out!

2partner.jpg

We take the plunge into the totally still warm water - delighted to find 40-50 ft vis after the beach swell. Rippled fine sand bottom soon dotted with coral heads - side by side with all senses firing we descend down to about 60ft moving slowly along the coastline. To our surprise large outcroppings of coral and short colorful walls begin to appear with plenty of colorful reef fish and nudis! It is so fun to hover weightlessly in the still water over these huge walls. Resisting the desire to plunge down to 100ft we remain conservative, alert and attentive, gracefully skiming back across the sandy bottom to finish the dive!

We enjoy a surface interval sharing watermelon with the driver & shy children who are quickly befriended
2surfaceinterval.jpg

Geared up for another plunge:

2partnerandchildren.jpg

This time we hike down the beach and glide over a spectacular coral garden at 20-30ft and decend retracing our path across the pinnacles back to the sandy lunarscape - the current now very slight.

So happy to leave the busy resorts far behind! Exploration diving is so much fun :D!

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of Puri Madha "resort."
2PURIMADHAII.jpg

2purimadahresort.jpg

2purimadahbungalow.jpg

Nicer bungalows

Like I said before the beauty of Liberty Wreck is well documented through amazing photos - so just use google to see how amazing the diving is.

Remember this place is NOT for the pampered diver :)! Here's my creative transport to the nearby dive site :D

2motorcyclesideview.jpg

Aren't you a bit overdressed for a motorcycle?

No way Ron, that's our girl... :) She goes by the name, NinjaK which is short for Ninja Kathy... :)

Kathy you need to minor in Anthropology with all the culture you are absorbing...

MG
p.s
you rock K....

Last edited:
Great report and pictures Kathy.... (and you know how I like photographic reports)

Sounds like the explorer in you is alive and well. The provincial pictures remind me so much of roaming around the countryside in the Phils when I was young... Pick a direction and just go :)

When you get back I have some North Coast areas I want to explore if you're up to it :wink:

Great pics and super reports, Kathy.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone in full scuba gear on a bike. I may have to pull out the harley and head to the local quarry one morning just for the gaping stares :-D

Love the photos! Thanks for the update.

Sounds like the explorer in you is alive and well. The provincial pictures remind me so much of roaming around the countryside in the Phils when I was young... Pick a direction and just go :)

When you get back I have some North Coast areas I want to explore if you're up to it :wink:

The Phils - so much to explore above/below water - what a great childhood! I already miss it & want to go back! Maybe for a month over Christmas :D!

No Coast exploration with you? Absolutely!
I'd be honored! Just give me a few seconds to match my wetsuit skills in the drysuit.
Which I suspect will be much easier after this summer of a gazillion dives :wink:.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom