$5 Macro Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've attached a PDF describing a macro lens I recently "invented". Pretty simple and cheap to make. Adds macro capacity to any underwater camera, and can be used in conjunction with a built-in macro for additional magnification!

Now if only I could find instructions for a DIY wide-angle...

Bryan

Warthaug, I don`t seem to be able to download your PDF file... can you help me and email it to me?

james_wc @ dolphinscuba.com.sg (no spaces!)

I couldn't view it/download it, either.

alcina:
Link works.

Can you do a comparison without the lens and with the lens on the same subject/conditions? This is a great idea if it works.

The coin appears to be in focus, but neither of the other shots are.

Unfortuantly, no. I'm using a real cheap underwater camera (pixtreme), and it has a fixed focal length. So all you would see in the macro-free pictures is a blur (if taken at the same distance); it is the macro lens which allows me to get the camera close enough to the subject to take those pictures. To get the coins into focus requirs that I be about 5' away; at that distance the couns would be just small circles in the image.

That's also why the underwater photos are a little off. The orgionals don't look near as bad as the ones in the PDF, but they aren't 100% either. Unfortunatly, with a fixed-focal length camera the range which is in focus is rather small (~10cm focal depth), so its pretty ahrd to get a photo that is perfectly in focus. If your camera is not fixed focus you'll get better pictures, as your camera will focus on the subject through the macro lens.

Bryan

ressurecting this thread in hopes that someone can post the file or updated link on this DIY lens

thanks!

Your wish is my command (please don't hold me to that).

I would also add at this point that focusing with this can be a real b*tch if you have a fixed focus (i.e. infinity-focused) camera. I doubt many people are still using those beasts, but if you are be prepared for a lot of duplicates as you try to get some pics in focus.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom