5 Star Dive Centers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caver

Contributor
Reaction score
When a dve operation says they are a 5 star SDI/TDI dive center ,,,, what does that mean ? Are there dive operations with less than 5 stars?:confused:

Now that is funny. I thought this was a PADI reference in the wrong forum but it is even worse if other agencies have adopted the 5 Star methodology/marketing gimmick. I am surprised if they were going to go that way that they did not create a 6 or 7 star. But, I suppose one cannot write off the benefits in riding the coat tail of PADI since this marketing path is already paved around the world. And, many people assume that a 5 star rating means quality while it really guarantees nothing of the sort.

Oh geeze, SDI/TDI is doing it too?

I am by no means slaming ANY business OR agency....The only reason I posted the question here, is that on TDS there is a thread saying "The First 5 Star SDI/TDI Professional Development Center in Florida". I am not 100% sure the OP on the thread is connected with Slate's or SDI/TDI.

Hello,
My name is Marcos Iglesias, I am the OP. I am a Advanced Trimix IT.
I am one of the ITs at Capt Slate's Atlantis Dive Center training Dept.
Cheers!

BlueDreamDivers:
My name is Marcos Iglesias, I am the OP.

OP means original post or original poster. The original poster is caver. Can you answer the question, "When a dve operation says they are a 5 star SDI/TDI dive center ,,,, what does that mean ? Are there dive operations with less than 5 stars?"

I think in this case OP is meaning "op" as in "operation"/"operator". Both caver and BlueDreamDivers seem to use OP in that way.

Now that is funny. I thought this was a PADI reference in the wrong forum but it is even worse if other agencies have adopted the 5 Star methodology/marketing gimmick. I am surprised if they were going to go that way that they did not create a 6 or 7 star. But, I suppose one cannot write off the benefits in riding the coat tail of PADI since this marketing path is already paved around the world. And, many people assume that a 5 star rating means quality while it really guarantees nothing of the sort.

Well 6 or 7 stars wouldn't fit into the "normal" star rating system and would probably just get laughs or just confuse people.

mikemill:
Well 6 or 7 stars wouldn't fit into the "normal" star rating system and would probably just get laughs or just confuse people.

I'm not familiar with SDI/TDI 5 star, but if it's like the other one in the diving world, it's not a rating system at all. It's designed to confuse folks into believing it is a rating system and cause them to think there may be quality that just isn't there.

The way a facility becomes a 5 Star SDI/TDI facility is that they promise to first offer SDI/TDI training courses to their customers before using any other agency.

Good Diving,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom