5 Star Dive Centers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“OP means original post or original poster. The original poster is caver. “

Thanks for the clarification. I was replying to the quote below. I am the OP (Original Poster) at TDS and connected with Slate's.

"The only reason I posted the question here, is that on TDS there is a thread saying "The First 5 Star SDI/TDI Professional Development Center in Florida". I am not 100% sure the OP on the thread is connected with Slate's or SDI/TDI."

“Can you answer the question, "When a dve operation says they are a 5 star SDI/TDI dive center ,,,, what does that mean ?”

The 5-Star Professional Development Center is the designation applied to those dive centers that can generate their own instructors by having at least two lTs on staff allowing them to conduct the ITC courses as well as the Instructor Evaluation Courses (lEC). To be listed as a 5-star SDI/TDI professional development Center, the following requirements must be met;
1. Have an active SDI/TDI instructor on staff
2. Display SDI/TDI logo with reciprocal link on website
3. Purchase SDI/TDI materials
4. Access to classroom for training
5. Access to confined water for training
6. Offer rental equipment including computers
7. Storefront display area with established hours
8. Have a breathing air compressor/filtration system
9. Offer factory authorized service for major lines sold
10. Be an authorized dealer for at least 4 major lines
11. Have a business licenses and permits as required by law
12. Offer SDI/TDI as primary certification
13. Have least 2 Instructor Trainers on staff
14. Complete at least 2 lT and IEC Course per year
15. Complete at least 2 ITC and IEC Course per year
16. Accept SDI Global Referrals
17. Conduct Only SDI/TDI professional leadership programs

Are there dive operations with less than 5 stars?
Yes

“it's not a rating system at all. It's designed to confuse folks into believing it is a rating system and cause them to think there may be quality that just isn't there.”

Already answered by Capt. Gary. (Thank you)

Last edited:
I think in this case OP is meaning "op" as in "operation"/"operator". Both caver and BlueDreamDivers seem to use OP in that way.

Well 6 or 7 stars wouldn't fit into the "normal" star rating system and would probably just get laughs or just confuse people.

Who's on first, OP's on secound ----:popcorn:

Hey Caver and Walter, Capt. Gary is correct the 5 star rating is we agree to teach SDI/TDI as our primary certification through instructor rating, also means we are a full service dive operation, store front, open 7 days, air, etc. just a full service dive store...hope that helps. Capt. Slate

Thanks Spencer, it's good to know what these things mean. It's basically the same as PADI's (details are different) a marketing designation to look like a quality rating thereby misleading consumers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom