5 week DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After discussing the DM program with my LDS, I don't see how anyone can do the program in 5 weeks. Mine is a NAUI shop, so that may play into is as there are more requirements added. For example, I have to run an off shore charter in order to become a DM. Just building up the level of trust with the shop to be given that responsibility takes more than 5 weeks. Are these other programs just as simple as taking some tests and demonstrating proficiency at skills or are their more requirements?

Understand that there are basically 3 routes to becoming a cert'ed DM.

You can take the quickie 6-7 day DM course and get "the card", and that means you're a card carrying DM. But, Most operations, shop/boat will not take you to work as a DM.

Sounds strange but think of it as a doctor who passing med school without ever working along side a Doctor or not doing any "Intern" work.

Next,
Now you take that same DM, have them work as an DM intern handling, classes with an Instructor, pool sessions, and open water dives. Do some sales, handle tanks, lead some dives, and deal with some divers. Work 6-9 months and Now you've got a DM.

Or,
Otherwise work their way up slowly from the inside, get the experience, have a good instructor that will show them ropes and be serious about the bookwork and tests.

Think

There are more requirements involved in the other programs as well which is why for example the majority of divemaster internships can take up to 3 months and sometimes longer. It can also depend on how much you are diving and working alongside the dive team. Where we are diving 7 days a week with sometimes 2 or 3 trips a day, a DMT can gain a lot of experience in a shorter period of time compared to a shop where they may only be diving at the weekends. As part of the DM program that , you also have to be able to organize and run a dive site set up and management of divers which I believe is similar to the NAUi organizing offshore charter running. Or certainly how I would choose to run it as before I sign off a DMT I would want them to have the experience and knowledge that they can organize their dive groups safely and effectively and run the dive trip well. This comes through experience which they can gain throughout the period of their inetrnship. There are also search and recovery scenario applications as well as deep dive scenarios, to give the candidate the best all round experience before starting on their dive careers. The more time in the water, and around the dive shop, the better I think.

Let's try to remember we're talking about a leisure activity here, not a career that requires a PhD. The motor skills (and teaching) requirements of the DM course are not particularly difficult for people with an aquatics (or education) background and can easily be mastered before ever considering going pro.

Since many dive pro candidates (DM is a professional level) are ill-prepared for the challenge, longer DM internships are often necessary to create a useful product and LDS owners love the free labor. By dragging it out over 3-6 months, they get your labor for a long period of time.

Somebody who is completely prepared, prior to the course, has little need for an internship that lasts half a year or longer --and charges 25% higher tuition rates-- because they're local. To me, a LDS that needs that long to create learning opportunities is either disorganized or cannot provide enough work to justify doing the DM with them. They're also using their candidates as unpaid staff, which is ethically ambiguous for a course that requires tuition unless you plan to work for that specific dive center.

Assuming you are prepared, both academically and physically, a 'factory' can easily provide you with ample access to students and the professional dive world, and they work with professional dive training nearly every day. They're also usually located in places that offer amazing dive opportunities for you to broaden your horizons, which is important to overall growth.

There is hardly a job in the world that does not require their own training after hiring, so bypassing a few things like learning the retail store end of the business should not be considered a huge negative. In fact, some might say its actually a positive.

For example, a new lifeguard with no experience is often preferred by aquatics managers because they are less rigid and opinionated about their work, and a 'green' employee is usually easier to train and has fewer bad habits.

It depends on the person and experience. A rescue diver with many years experience who has hundreds of logged dives can get through the course quicker than someone who is open water or advanced with less than 50 dives.

Nothing against the latter, that was what I was and it took me three months full time (rescue and dm). The theory was easy to me but I know I needed the 'in-water' work to be fully comfortable. I chose an internship method and worked at a diveshop everyday logging hundreds of dives as well as working through the course. That way I was surrounded by divers, I did loads of dives, I listened to briefings daily, I helped DMs and saw the problems they faced and I left feeling able to work in a dive shop. Plus we learned all the extra stuff (tank filling, compressor maintenance)

Not that I'm saying anyone should be rushed through (6 days? okay that is way to short) but there were a few people in my dive school who got through in 4-6 weeks but they were already experienced and comfortable and I know the dive school would never have signed them off otherwise. They were sticklers!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom