Economy Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa Flinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got back from a 2 week trip to Roatan! I feel like I need more diving! I’m working on a 6 night trip to Cozumel in January. I already got plane tickets for $244 which requires a bag drag but that’s ok! Can you help me build an economy trip? I have Bonaire on the books for 2024 too so I need to be financially responsible! 😂. I was looking at the Barracuda but can’t figure out how to book with them. They haven’t answered my email! Their website is terrible! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! The option for shore diving is a bonus!

For comparison shopping, use a site like Travelocity or Orbitz. There's plenty of places that are sub $100/day. While working on cost savings, don't skimp on the dive op to save $5-$10/day. There's lots of good ops and you may need to experience a few before finding your favorites. Save money by eating local tacos, having breakfast and lunch from food you buy at Mega or Chedraui, and walking to meals. I've even see people bring a heating element so they could boil water in their hotel room and make ramen.

ADO Bus to the Ferry

Amigos Hostle

Dive with 3P (to get a free ride to the marina)... and get a 6 pack, fast boat.

Eat tacos and street food

It's been awhile but we stayed at Villa las Anclas and it was super welcoming and good on a budget. That was before Airbnb was as big as it is now so you might be able to find something cheaper too. We went to the grocery store the first day so we could save money on food. At the time it was connected to Tres Pelicanos Dive Center but looks they moved around the corner now. They're a great shop, but lots of options to shop around for dives in Cozumel.

Dive with Blue Magic, ( a very good op, and our favorite), and stay in their hostel for free.
Their diving is competitively priced.
Both are well located in town.
Transportation from the shop to & from the marina is provided, (taxi).
Full service, valet shop - drop off your gear when you arrive, and won't have to do anything with it until you leave.

While working on cost savings, don't skimp on the dive op to save $5-$10/day.
Yes, but OTOH don't automatically assume that the most expensive op is necessarily the one who will best accommodate your needs.

You can book Hotel Barracuda with Orbitz.

Yes, but OTOH don't automatically assume that the most expensive op is necessarily the one who will best accommodate your needs.
Definitely not. What I am trying to say is that don't choose op based solely on price. I think many are within $10 per 2-tank trip of each other. Go with the op you want and save money elsewhere.

I've stayed at Barracuda twice this year -- both times booked as a package deal with my dive op, Tres Pelicanos. Salty Endeavors also has package deals there. I think booking through a dive op is the best way, because Hotel Barracuda is a bit primitive (they still actually use a typewriter!) and some of the employees there don't speak English that well (it's fine when you're there, but may be rough communicating from afar).

Two other budget hotel options are Hotel Mary Carmen and Suites Colonial. I know Tres Pelicanos also has packages with Suites Colonial, don't know about the others.

This is exactly what I was looking for! You guys are great! It looks like Barracuda is sold out. I may still try to call. I’m disappointed in that but I will look at the other suggestions from you all. I really want Centro this time so I don’t need a car. I’ll keep you posted !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom