Economy Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke too soon! I got an email back from Barracuda. They are offering me a package but I don’t know anything about their in-house dive op! Any opinions on Scuba Juan? I kinda had my mind set on Aldora or Tres Pelicanos.

I spoke too soon! I got an email back from Barracuda. They are offering me a package but I don’t know anything about their in-house dive op! Any opinions on Scuba Juan? I kinda had my mind set on Aldora or Tres Pelicanos.
Can't Jeannie at 3P set up a package for you staying at Barracuda and diving with 3P? I have known her for many years; she is great at taking care of your arrangements.

ScubaJuan is a really nice dive op -- we did a couple of shore dives with them on our last trip, and some boat dives in the past also. Very nice people.
Can't Jeannie at 3P set up a package for you staying at Barracuda and diving with 3P? I have known her for many years; she is great at taking care of your arrangements.
Yes, Jeanie is great and actually the last time I stayed at Barracuda they were already showing as "no vacancies" online but Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos (3P) got us a room at a great rate along with our dive package with Tres Pelicanos. So we did boat dives with 3P and shore dives with ScubaJuan, and had some great dives.

P.S.: to the OP -- you haven't asked any specific questions about Hotel Barracuda so I just wanted to be sure that you know that it is a very basic old-school hotel. The rooms are very dated but clean. There is no elevator. The A/C works well thankfully. The WiFi is iffy. They provide tiny soap bars, but you'll need to supply your own shampoo/conditioner/bigger soap bars and you'll need to buy your own bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth -- luckily Mega (a Wal-mart like store) is literally right across the street.

It's in a great location, one of the only hotels actually on the water and also close enough to walk to and from town. Nice shore dives from the hotel (rent tanks from ScubaJuan in the hotel), swim up pool bar where you can also order decent food. It's actually becoming one of my favorite places to stay, but you need to understand what you are getting into to have the right mindset.

I booked with 3P for a week of diving and stay at Barracuda a few months ago and am leaving Tuesday. 3P is a nice reliable dive op that is pretty easy going and geared towards divers with a little more experience. Hotel Barracuda is pretty lackadaisical and I never had the impression they were particularly happy to see me, but it is reasonably clean, the toilets flush, there's a little beach, and lots of sunsets over the ocean. Low expectation snorkeling out front that can offer some rewards at night. I've stayed there probably 8-10 times over the years. As mentioned, call 3P and see if they can get you a room

Check out Hotel Vista del Mar. Right next to Casa Mexicana, usually cheap.

Just got back from a 2 week trip to Roatan! I feel like I need more diving! I’m working on a 6 night trip to Cozumel in January. I already got plane tickets for $244 which requires a bag drag but that’s ok! Can you help me build an economy trip? I have Bonaire on the books for 2024 too so I need to be financially responsible! 😂. I was looking at the Barracuda but can’t figure out how to book with them. They haven’t answered my email! Their website is terrible! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! The option for shore diving is a bonus!
I have been using Airbnb for most of my Coz trips over the past 6 or 7 years, and have found great lodging deals there. I'm usually booking for a group of 4 to 6 though, so I'm not sure how cost effective it would be for a solo diver. I'd recommend checking it out -- as well as VRBO -- just to see what's available.

Someone else mentioned the bag drag strategy: ADO bus from CUN to the big station in PDC (there is a second smaller station), short walk from the bus station to the ferry, and then ferry over to Coz. Reverse steps when you go home. Prices and schedules are available on the respective websites.

This is not on or near the water but a great deal:
$40 night for 2 people. Great AC. In-room kitchenette; family run; super friendly staff; very clean and safe. Full common kitchen on site with free coffee in the morning and purified water all day. 2 blocks from supermarket and some good cheap restaurants: Arabian Tacos (delicious Middle Eastern); El Pique Taqueria. Only downside is that it’s an 8 block walk from the water. But taxis are about $50 pesos to the water or to in-town dive ops. My daughter and I stayed there for 3 weeks 2 years ago and had a great time!

There are a ton of Airbnb's in Cozumel with a lot of budget options. We were there for a little over 2 months earlier this year and after staying in one, I doubt we will ever go back to hotels there. One thing nice about Cozumel, you can find hotels, condos, apartments, houses to fit all price ranges.

Update: This is what we ended up doing. Food is pretty much the only thing not included here. I think its pretty economical. Thanks to you all for your input. Cant wait for January!
Roundtrip airfare to Cancun = $244pp (This will require the bag drag)
RT shuttle services CUN-COZ = $73pp on USA Transfers
6 nights at the Barracuda = $450 total = $225pp
5 days diving w/ Aldora = Approx. $635pp includes all taxes and marine park fees
Total 6 night trip with 5 days of diving = $1177pp

Back
Top Bottom