5-year-old boy submerged for more than 1 hour...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WITH REGRETS I HAVE LEARNED THAT TYLER ZIELINSKI HAS DIED 14 DAYS FOLLOWING HIS PROLONGED SUBMERGED TIME. ONE HAS TO WONDER IF A DIVE TEAM HAD BEEN CLOSER OR ARRIVED SOONER, IF THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY, FRIENDS AND THE LITTLE ROCK COMMUNITY.
================================================

Ark. boy submerged in icy pond dies, hospital says

LITTLE ROCK Arkansas Children's Hospital says that a 5-year-old boy who was submerged in an icy pond for more than an hour before he was rescued died today.

Barry "Tyler" Zielinski fell through ice on a pond February 2nd near his Crawford County home. The boy had been in a coma and on and off a respirator at the Little Rock hospital since the accident.

Although the frigid temperature of the water initially saved Tyler from drowning, doctors say the time he spent underwater most likely caused some brain damage.

Tyler's older sister was with him when he fell through the ice, and she went in the water and tried to save him. When she couldn't, she got their mother. The boy's mother, grandfather, a volunteer fire fighter and a county dive team member all jumped into the frigid water to rescue him but were overwhelmed by the cold. Authorities say an emergency crew finally was able to use a boat and a dragline to reach him and pull him aboard.

That's awful, I'm so sorry.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family on their loss. They also go to the rescuers as they will also be affected by the death of a child. Now starts them begining the process of thinking what if!

So sad and avoidable.

Dan

my thoughts adn prayers are with the family and the team of people that tried to help him

That's tough. At least the folks involved in the rescue gave him the chance to fight for his life. I hope they get a good debrief as I know they will take this hard.

These are so hard on so many people. At least everyone’s actions gave the little guy a fighting chance.

Prayers sent.

Gary D.

I recovered 2 kids from the cab of a pickup who were submerged for 45 minutes in 45 deg water a couple of years ago here in Arkansas. I "WHAT IF" it for a while and then I realized they were dead by the time my pager went off and after they got to the hospital they just stayed dead!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom