5050 battery life/charger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from the T&C Aggressor. Hopefully, I'll figure out how to post some of my photos -- first outing with my 5050/pt015. Very pleased with the results, even without a wide angle or strobe.

Only fly in the ointment: the short life and long battery charging time of the 1700 NiMH batteries that came with the camera (I did take a spare set, thank goodness).

1. Are there longer-life batteries out there that can be used with the Oly5050?

2. Is there a better/faster charger than the one that comes with the camera?

Thanks!
Seth

I use the NiMH that came with the camera and have no problems with either charging times or capacity. However I do not use it in a housing.

Typically you will be taking photos more rapidly and using flash a lot when in a housing. The Olympus disposable lithiums are a possible substitute, they offer greater capacity and faster recycle times.

You can easily obtain some 2000 mAh or 2200 mAh NiMH batteries which will last over three hours, with the LCD display on. I normally change batteries after two dives, but have pushed the envelope and done three with my 2000's.

I like the Maha C204F recharger that I bought from Thomas Distributing.

Go to their web site and look around:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

Hi, sdwho,

I agree about the long charging time of the charger that came with the 5050.

I've had good success with the 2200mha batteries and the chargers (#401??) from
www.thomas-distributing.com/

On a trip, I'll have 3 sets af batteries-one in the camera, a second charged set to change out after 2 dives-just to be safe- and the third set in the charger-charging during the day. One of the "used" set recharges at night. That way, at the start of each day you have 2 charged sets to use.(If you use a strobe-double everything I said) not sure what to do if you do >4 dives a day.
You could also use the "quick charge" (~100 minutes)setting,if you can get to the charger to swap sets.

Good luck,
Mike

ps: Sorry if this mostly repeats what jlyle said. I type very slowly-when I started to reply, there was only the original post and 1 reply.

Well, that's the claim I've seen made by many digital photographers who have solved battery charging problems by using them. I have their Powerline 4. One real strength of this charger - quick charge times aside, is that it genuinely charges each cell individually - no weak cells in a group. It also has a discharge and re-charge function - and it's good for NiMh or NiCads. Finally, if like me you do a bit of travelling, it has changeable plug modules to fit most of the World's sockets. They all work well with the auto-sensing charger (i.e. It doesn't have to be switched between 110 and 240 volts, it does it automatically)

I'm another fan of the MAHA 204 smart chargers and NiMH 2200 batteries from Thomas Dist. The charger that came with the 5050 is in a drawer collecting dust!

I just got the MaHa C401fc w/2300, too soon to test them on lenghth of time, but got the international kit. It's looking good - Thomas batteries.
Before them, using the Anman 1600 and had to replace them on every dive... otherwise it'd stop in the middle of the 2nd dive...
Since I had to change the mem card, 46pic (128mb max for the oly 4040), I just replace the battery's to in the routine.

So carry 3 sets of batteries, plus one for the strobes and a back up set.. Needless to say on a trip, I have to carry 2+days worth of batteries. One being used for the day the other being charged for the next daty.. sounds like a Battery Management System.. heheh... almost is.. hopefully the 2300 will reduce that.

I've stopped using the cmedia ones that came with my 5050. Got a couple sets of the sanyo 2300s from RipVan and they've been working great.

Same here, not happy with the batteries that came with the camera, but am very happy with the panasonic 2100's that I picked up at costcos. Right now I have three sets and with all the little extra UW toys I have I think I will get 3 more in the future (two packages= 3 sets of 4 batteries).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom