5050 - shooting modes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing about photography, but based in a large way on the enthusiasm found here, I purchased a refurb 5050 on ebay. I hope in time I get the chance to learn all the capabiities etc. I've read that you guys create your own modes but - for starters does it make any sense to use the modes provided underwater ? say "lanscape" mode for a section of reef 15 feet away or "portrait" mode for a parrot fish 2-3 feet away ? or for starters should I just leave it in "program" mode ?

Also - I have a PT-015 case on the way - do I need to seriously worry about it leaking ? I thought I read something to that effect in one of the threads here ? Any other caveats ?

Thanks

These modes basically set aperature & shutter speed in combinations to suit the topside scene, which won't necessarily work underwater. You will probably want to choose these settings yourself - shooting in manual mode M - so that you can better control what the camera is doing. Program mode P will probably work ok, although I haven't really tried it underwater. The onboard flash does a reasonable job as long as you don't get too close to the subject. This will cause a shadow in a corner of the frame due to the housing lens port. Shoot in MACRO mode to enable close focus (it will also focus at distance). As for the housing, keep a watchful eye on the mode control for a possible weepage problem.

Here's a great link to get you started with your MY Mode settings. http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/underwater_photography/index.html

My Modes are used to quickly change common settings that you can determine based on the type of diving/photos you are doing. After switching to your preset My Mode, you can then still change all settings via the manual controls - it's just faster to get to a base point with the My Mode.

I'd start out in M mode on the 5050 - it isn't as hard as it sounds. f4 and 1/100 are a good place to start, I think. Then you can adjust from there. One note: I found that what appears to be a perfect exposure in my monitor on the camera is a bit too dark on the computer - do some test shots on land or water to check...it can be changed.

Any time you take something in the water you need to be careful. Routine maintanence and careful handling/inspection are critical to put off potential floods. Always check your o-ring for debris, smoothness and flaws. Regrease as necessary. Close your housing gently but firmly, watching to make sure the o-ring doesn't smoosh out and get caught. Check all the controls (you can see into the housing around them) for debris - mine are still fine, but some have had small water drops/sand etc in the buttons. You then need to pull them apart and do some maintenance - I think Dee had to do this at one stage, so she might be able to jump in with more details. My camera gets a fresh water rinse after my dive day and a good luke warm water soak every few dive days. Always done this with my gear and knock wood, so far no problems.

have fun and I can't wait to see some photos!

alcina:
My camera gets a fresh water rinse after my dive day and a good luke warm water soak every few dive days.
:11: :11: I hope you meant 'My housing gets a ...' :eyebrow: :wink:

Finally - my PT-015 case arrived today. (I got it from bestbuy.com - no problem). I've quickly browsed the manual and other than a depiction of the balance weight - there is no mention of it. There is a metal washer with a red thread tied around it. What purpose does it serve ? Where does it go ? Thanks.

That washer has had darn near all of us scratching our heads. Think it was Dee that finally solved it.....blasted thing is to be used as a screwdriver to tighten the screw that holds the weight on the housing. Here is a link to a DIY handle for the PT-015 I made. You find it useful.. http://www.scubaboard.com/t51263.html

Good memory, Herman!

Yep, that washer had me confused for days! It works great and doesn't take up room in the box. Don't take the string off of it, it helps me find it in the camera tool box and keeps Beast from using it on some project. :D I'd have to steal one to replace it from his junk that would be all greasy and....well, you get the picture! :wink:

So that's what the washer is for!!!

KimLeece:
So that's what the washer is for!!!
:06: Hmm. I always thought it was an Olympus lucky charm that you need to hang off the housing to ward off the evil spirits of flooding. Darn! It's been dangling off my housing for years :sorry19z: .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom