5050 vs 5060- any difference underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgj

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide betweeen a cheaper refurbished 5050 and a new c 5060. I have seen some comments on digideep.com regarding the better lens on the 5050... Is one of these cameras superior compared to the other?

Both camera have their strong points. Underwater results, from what I've seen, are about the same. I haven't heard anyone comment on any advantage underwater of the wider lens, that doesn't mean there aren't any. :wink:

However the 5060 has some limitations when adding lenses. They wide angle lens requires it's own attachable housing. I've read reports that the pins this lens housing connects to on the OLY PT-20 have a problem of shearing off if bumped. Look ---->HERE

I'll admit to being biased but I would vote for the refurbed 5050.

I got a good deal on a new (there are still some around!) c 5050, for $385.00 tax included. Of course, I went for it...
I am now going to buy my Olympus housing. What card do you recommend? And what are the other accessories I should acquire next?
Thanks!

I use a Viking 512CF, and an Oly 256mg XD cards. One thing I really like about the 5050 is i can switch between the two underwater. I usually use the XD for the movie clips. I don't see the need for anything larger since I download everything at the end of the day.

A good charger and 2300NiMH batteries is a must. I've been using the MAHA 204 series chargers for several years, just replaced a lost one with the new C204W, and I love them. They are reasonable priced, the PowerX batteries are the best performing ones I've used.

Don't worry about a strobe yet. Learn to use the camera, in the housing and out, first. The internal camera flash is very versatile and will serve you well until you're ready to move up.

A coiled lanyard is also a must, at least for me. I don't trust the wimpy wrist one provided with the housing. The coiled lanyard will clip to your BC and extends to give you plenti of room and movement with the camera. When you're finished, simply clip the lanyard back together.

And lastly...insurance! I use DEPP insurance, don't take a camera in any water without it. Camera, lenses, strobes all get addition flood coverage.

www.batteryspace.com has some obscenely good deals on NiMH batteries and chargers. I just paid $25 for their Smart Charger + 12 2250 mAh NiMH AA's package and am more than pleased with their performance.

I have no input on the Oly, I'm a Canon man :wink:

sgj:
I got a good deal on a new (there are still some around!) c 5050, for $385.00 tax included. Of course, I went for it...
I am now going to buy my Olympus housing. What card do you recommend? And what are the other accessories I should acquire next?
Thanks!

Does your source still have more new c-5050's? I ran into a snag (see my post in the link below) and am still looking for one.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=709047&posted=1#post709047

torrey:
Does your source still have more new c-5050's? I ran into a snag (see my post in the link below) and am still looking for one.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=709047&posted=1#post709047

Sorry for the late reply. I called up the online store (Accessories Land) to inquire. And I am glad I did. It looks like they are not going to honor my purchase "as the camera was out of stock just before your purchase was put in". I suspect they will probably still sell you one for that price, if you bought their accessories along with it. But my feeling after my dealings with them is that they are suspect!
In case you still want to contact them, their number is 1-888-527-7830. Their web site is at the link http://store.yahoo.com/accessoriesland/olcdica.html

Good luck

sgi....unfortunately that's a common practice with alot of the online stores.

Back
Top Bottom