5060/PT020 Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike:
Looks like we'll be learning our new rigs at the same time.

Where are you staying and who are you diving with?

I'll be at Caribe Blu May 15-22 - diving w/ BlueXTSea

Edit: Ooops, never mind, saw you're at Casa Mexicana on the Coz post

Moodiejeff:
Where are you staying and who are you diving with?

I'll be at Caribe Blu May 15-22 - diving w/ BlueXTSea

Edit: Ooops, never mind, saw you're at Casa Mexicana on the Coz post

Yes, and diving with DWM.

Moodiejeff:
Just got a housing for my 5060 a few weeks ago... What else will I need (besides O-rings)?

Not dealing w/ a strobe just yet, though I did get the much maligned FL-20 and housing

Balance weight? Tray?

Best way to attatch it to you? Coil Lanyard & Clip or Retractor or wrist strap?

I'll be in Coz in 16 more days, I guess I better start practicing!

Thanx in advance for any info/suggestions

If you aren't using a strobe, you don't need a tray. The counterwieght will attach to the tripod mount on the base of the housing.

coiled lanyard.

WoooooHooooooooooooo
Just got here! Camera and Housing arrived together. Wow, housing is bigger than I expected. Seems much larger than the pt-15. Chargin' up the battry now and can't wait to dive into this thing. Much differnet from my Sony DSC-S75. Going to take a while to get used to a new camera.

Got a 256 CF card but sounds like I need to order a 1G. Can any of you Digi experts tell me where the best place to buy one would be? Greatly appreciate your assistance.

Dee, you are a wealth of knowledge my dear. I can't tell you enough how much I appreicate your guidance. I will try not to trouble you too often but will continue to look for direction. If you had a book to recommend for a novice what might it be? Any underwater digital specific books out? I have done a bit of looking but not found any.

Aw, Shucks! Just trying to pass along the same type of help I got when I started.

One of the best books ever is Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition. Any photo can be technically correct...perfect exposure, perfectly focused, etc. But if it has poor composition none of that matters, it'll be a bad photo. Your composition of a photo is what makes it and it's also one of the hardest things to learn properly. The composition is what makes the photo 'speak' to you, why it 'works' and others of better tecnical quality don't.

I believe you'll learn more about digital cameras on these message boards than any book. There's a wealth of photographers here who show us examples every day. learn from them. Note the exposure stats when they're posted. Ask questions!...you can't do that with a book! Besides, I haven't seen a book on digital U/W photography yet that's any good, or at least any better than what can be learned online. I'm a book person, I buy them and read them voraciously. But I've learned more from my fellow photographers on this and other boards than I ever learned ina book...except Jim's!

5615mike:
Seems much larger than the pt-15.

Got a 256 CF card but sounds like I need to order a 1G. Can any of you Digi experts tell me where the best place to buy one would be?

It's pretty big isn't it! Took me by surprise as well!

Got my CF cards at http://ecost.com

Bought one of the 40x cards as they supposedly write to the card faster. You also may want to consider a 2nd battery ($60). Get's expensive doesn't it!?!

you can also try http://pricegrabber.com to comparison shop.

"The secret is to recalibrate the WB every 10-15ft of depth. I had to learn that the hard way, some of my photos have lavendar water! Practice this before you leave. And NEVER use the internal flash with manual WB. You'll be amazed at the photos you can take at 60-80 ft without a strobe."

Dee - this is very interesting. Are you saying that also using a MyMode configuration (C5060) with the WB set to auto you are able to recalibrate the WB UW or can this only be done outside a MyMode setting? I have a number of these set up for various UW situations and have the WB set to auto for each (using internal strobe only).
Thanks
Bruce

brucem:
"The secret is to recalibrate the WB every 10-15ft of depth. I had to learn that the hard way, some of my photos have lavendar water! Practice this before you leave. And NEVER use the internal flash with manual WB. You'll be amazed at the photos you can take at 60-80 ft without a strobe."

Dee - this is very interesting. Are you saying that also using a MyMode configuration (C5060) with the WB set to auto you are able to recalibrate the WB UW or can this only be done outside a MyMode setting? I have a number of these set up for various UW situations and have the WB set to auto for each (using internal strobe only).
Thanks
Bruce

I have tried recalibrating the WB several times and don't know if I am doing it correctly. Please help.

Bruce....I don't use My Mode underwater. You can't pre-set settings exactly since conditions are always different, they always need adjustments. I'd have to make the same adjustments in My Modes so I skip that step, it's button pushing I can do without!

5615mike:
I have tried recalibrating the WB several times and don't know if I am doing it correctly. Please help.

Mike....here's how I do it....

OK/menu

down arrow to choose WB

down arrow to choose last option (oval with two triangles
underneath)

right arrow to choose it

You'll see a screen with a yellow bar at the top with One touch WB and Cancel and Go at the bottom.

Aim the camera at your slate that's tilted a bit to get full light or at a patch of bright white sand

Hit OK and the camera will calibrate

Hit OK twice more to get out of the menu.

Voila! WB is calibrated for that depth. Remember to do this every time you change depths by 10ft or more or anytime conditions change. Also don't forget to move your WB back to Auto topside, when you use a strobe or you don't want manual WB. If not, all your photos will be too red.

Dee:
Bruce....I don't use My Mode underwater. You can't pre-set settings exactly since conditions are always different, they always need adjustments. I'd have to make the same adjustments in My Modes so I skip that step, it's button pushing I can do without!

Mike....here's how I do it....

OK/menu

down arrow to choose WB

down arrow to choose last option (oval with two triangles
underneath)

right arrow to choose it

You'll see a screen with a yellow bar at the top with One touch WB and Cancel and Go at the bottom.

Aim the camera at your slate that's tilted a bit to get full light or at a patch of bright white sand

Hit OK and the camera will calibrate

Hit OK twice more to get out of the menu.

Voila! WB is calibrated for that depth. Remember to do this every time you change depths by 10ft or more or anytime conditions change. Also don't forget to move your WB back to Auto topside, when you use a strobe or you don't want manual WB. If not, all your photos will be too red.

Dee, that's what I have been doing but I did not think it was changing. The manual says to make sure there are no shadows and I have made sure of that but as I said, I have not been sure it has been working. Thanks again. Will finally get to play with this thing in my pool on Sat..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom