5mm Semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone know of a 5mm women's semi-dry that does not have a hood and is less than 900$? I'm really struggling to find one.

I gave v
again, I looked at this, but it's 7/5mm and therefore closer to a 7 mm and no one wants to have to wear a 7mm if they can possibly avoid it.

I looked at this but it actually isn't a semi-dry.
I found this while searching for semi-dry on Diver Supply's website. The listing is confusing, you may want to give them a call. The photos on the AL website show some type of cuff on the sleeves

again, I looked at this, but it's 7/5mm and therefore closer to a 7 mm and no one wants to have to wear a 7mm if they can possibly avoid it.
The 7mm is over the core with 5mm on the arms and legs. It will add buoyancy but not as much as a full 7mm. The extra width around the core shouldn't impact mobility. Remember the deeper you go the more the neoprene compresses.

Where are you planning to dive? In PA, I was using a 7mm 2 piece and still could get cold under the thermocline. In Florida, I used a 3mm and added a vest if the water temp was on the cold side.

Waterproof has the W7 in 5mm and 7mm. They sell it as a wetsuit. But, it has drysuit-style seals at the wrists and ankles. And, they sell an optional neck seal add-on.

I have been diving the W7 5mm for a couple of years now (without the neck seal). I think it does seal up pretty darn well. When I get out of the water and walk around, I will have water in my legs that makes the lower leg of the suit bulge, and it just stays there until I unzip the ankles and pull the seals open.

I ordered a new one and also the neck seal, which coincidentally was delivered today. Mine has 177 dives on it. It is getting thin from repeated compression on deep dives. I wanted a new one that will restore some of its original warmth and for when a seal on the old one finally rips. I will soon find out if the neck seal add-on really makes any difference to how warm it is.

The back zipper also has a double seal arrangement. I.e. 2 smoothskin flaps that overlay each other under the zipper - assuming care is taken to get them to lay correctly as the suit is zipped up. I always ask for help.

This suit is about as close as I think you can get to a semi-dry without having an actual drysuit zipper.

And it has thigh pockets.

The W7 5mm retails for $569.

All that said, if your goal is simply to have the warmest 5mm suit you can get, I think the Bare Reactive 5mm is as warm or maybe even warmer than the W7 5mm (without the neck seal). I had the older generation Reactive 5mm when I got my W7. I sold the Reactive to a friend. I think it was as warm and the current generation of Reactive is supposed to be even warmer than the one I had.

Lastly, I know you don't want a 7mm. But, Waterproof has a new Neoflex SD semi-dry 7mm. It does not have a hood. And, it looks like the same neoprene used in the W7 7mm suit. That neoprene is VERY stretchy and comfy. I have been toying with getting one for myself for when the 5mm is not warm enough but I don't want to wear a drysuit for whatever reason.

The rub on this one is that the Neo SD retails for somewhere around $1200 - 1400, I think. I can't find a specific suggested retail price on it.

One last thing. Instead of a 5mm semi-dry, have you considered a 3mm compressed neoprene actual drysuit?

You can get a Seaskin Ultra for less than $900.

Made to measure. Very good quality. I have one and it is awesome.

It's like diving in a loose-fitting 3mm wetsuit - except I'm warm and dry. And I have one extra hose on my 1st stage reg, to connect to the inflator on the suit.

Having this suit is another major reason I have not bought a Waterproof Neo SD....

Back
Top Bottom