5mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a descent one.
I have a 3 that does adequate , and I have 7.
Getting ready to do some cool water diving 65-70 and want the "baby bear soup"

I can stay comfortable at this temp with a 3 a hood and a shark skin ..but wanting one I don't have to layer.

Considering the pinnacle

Thanks

I love my waterproof 5mm. It has double layers at the cuffs: an under layer that goes under boots and gloves, and an over layer that zips closed. Really helps minimize water exchange.

Layering is less effective but it offers flexibility, my personal preference.

Dive buddy of mine went to the Fourth Element 3mm semi dry, Proteus II if I recall. He was perfectly happy in that where I was wearing a 5mm wetsuit. His was lighter, easier to don and doff, and only a bit more expensive.

I have been really comfortable in my Henderson Aqualock 5mm for years. Did the full system with all the seals to limit water exchange. Thin enough to be comfortable in fairly warm water, sealed up enough to work in pretty cold water. Only issue I ever had was operator error (assistant error) who put an S-fold in the back of the hood that funneled water down my back. Hooded vest prevented that from happening again. Used that right up until I got a good drysuit. I am still really happy with that 5mm. I've owned several wetsuits and that is the best I ever owned.

I really like my Xcel hydroflex for a reasonably priced, very stretchy and durable, 5mm (actually, I believe it may be a 4/3). All of my local diving is in a 7mm. I use the 5mm for warm water where I could probably use a 3mm or shorty, but it is so stretchy and easy to get into (particularly compared to the 7mm I am used to) and I'm not complaining or shivering on the 3rd and 4th dives of the day or night dives like some of my dive partners who insist on shortys or 3mm's.

I dive a 3, a 5 and a 7mm wetsuit every year in SE FL, with or without a 5/3 hooded vest. Best to match the water temps and remain comfortable

I love my BARE Velocity 5mm. Dive it all the time, which is primarily in tropical locations. Zippered ankles really make it convenient to close over booties.

Go to a shop that has large selection of brands to try!
We all build differently.
Happy hunting.

I love my BARE Velocity 5mm. Dive it all the time, which is primarily in tropical locations. Zippered ankles really make it convenient to close over booties.

I.lobe my Bare Velocity suits too but Bare isn't making them anymore to my knowledge :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom