(6/18/2005) Diver lost off Jupiter Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom

FYI - This dive is usually planned and executed as a DRIFT DIVE, which means you drift along with the current not against it. I don't believe anyone in their right mind would attempt to swim into a 2-3 knot current.

USCG Master 50 Tons
NAUI Inst
IANTD Rec Trimix Instructor

Tom Winters:
I'm amazed that people even think of doing this dive with an aluminum 80. I will only do it with one of my 121's pumped up to 160 cubic feet. Plus I have another 40 cubic feet of either pure O2 or 50% nitrox.
80 cubic feet is ok for a small, highly experience diver with a great sense of gas management, but for pretty much everyone else, there's not enough of a safety margin there.
Tom,

Do any of the boats that run our there even offer anything but AL 80's? I say this going on the assumption many people might be on vacation (like me) and without their own tanks.

BKDiver:
The fact of the matter is that unless the diver is recovered, it is highly unlikely anyone will ever really know what happened or whether there were any pre-existing medical conditions that may have contributed to his problem. Having done this dive on two occasions, both with JDC, I can certainly attest to the fact that it is not a dive for the "occasional diver". Accordingly, JDC limits this trip to advanced level divers and in my experience, conducts a safe and professional operation. The bottom line is that as a diver doing this kind of a dive, you have to take certain responsibilities for your own actions and well being, including staying healthy, knowing your limitations and accepting the consequences for when things go wrong. Speculation in situations like these is never healthly, especially when it becomes the basis for passing judgement on events that otherwise you know nothing about.

USCG Master Lic 50-Ton
NAUI Inst
IANTD Rec Trimix Inst
I agree with this completely. I have made that dive (and many other sites) with Randy on many occasions. I have found his operation to be professional and well run FOR ADVANCED DIVERS. They do not hold your hand or babysit like some operations do. This is one of the things I like about them. And they will take ADVANCED divers to sites that others will not go. I have always been very confident of being picked up. All divers are told to have a SMB. I do not think it is necessary for each group to carry a float line. Also if Randy saw that diver surfacing it was probably from underwater as Randy is on most dives from that boat and usually is first in and last out. This divers death was a tragic accident but to point fingers and assign blame based on speculation is just wrong. Accidents happen even to the most experienced and healthy divers. This sport is not without risk. If a diver does not have the experience or confidence to make a dive like hole in the wall than he/ she should not do it. But don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to and are glad to have an operation like JDC who is willing take us there.
JMHO, Chris

If there is a lesson learned, it may be that you need to know how much air you need to match your buddy. The first few dives I make after a month off, I'm an air hog. I now carry 108's to match my buddy's air rate so I don't cut my buddy short or make the ascent alone. It isn't about fitness either, my Florida buddy is just more comfortable in the water, he does it several times each week.

I dove with JDC on the 12th of June rough seas high current 5 divers and 1 DM in the water.I got seperated form the group about a min. into the first dive and dove/spearfished it by myself (which is pretty stupid)but still had a good dive.I rented 96's from them to dive with.Randy was out of town and had Capt.Mike run the boat.

Randy was on the dive with him. He signaled he was low on air and started to surface. That was the last time anyone saw him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom