6 cubic foot Pony Kit bouyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a 6 cu-ft pony for no-deco dives this summer to depths of around 125 ft and I love it. When I'm diving a big heavy steel tank, the added weight of a 13 cu-ft pony is unwelcome, but I can hardly feel the 6 cu-ft tank when I pick my rig up. As mentioned, by others, the 6 cuft has no detectable effect on bouyancy underwater.

That's what I'm looking for as well. I dive Nitrox almost all the time now to stay under the NDL. I'm blessed with very good air consumption so I'm almost always alone for the last 20 minutes or so of the dive. This will be there in case I have some weird first stage failure with no buddies nearby. It was actually a DM down in Cozumel that recommended this. For several days in a row my air supply outlasted his and he headed up before me.

-Charles

The 6 cf bailout system is always, but barely negative, so as stated earlier you just don't notice it. And it clips behind the wing so you don't really feel it either.

As far as gas quantity, that's every individuals choice. Some divers don't mind carrying large pony tanks, so they're happy with bigger ones. Many hate wearing bulky ponies, so this 6 cf model will be one they will wear instead of going without.

I wear it most along with my 30 cf deco stage, so it's nice to know I could use it to get me up to about 30' and then switch to the larger volume deco gas.

Just for grins I did a couple tests.

The 6 cu ft tank used in my pool at 6 ft depth and it lasted for 13 minutes, very relaxed and warm. My SAC was 3.9 cfm. (Your mileage may vary, YMMV.)

The same tank lasted 4.8 minutes at a fast swim pace where I swam 770 ft at 4 ft. of depth, with no push-offs from the walls. SAC of 1.1 cfm. (YMMV) This was an estimate of the speed I might use if needing to get up from a deep dive to the depth where I could use my stage deco tank, approx. 30 ft. If you do the math you will see that the tank would have allowed a theoretical horizontal swim of 192 ft at 115 fsw.

For me this is a lot of emergency gas to get up with.

There is a handy pony tank guide program on the bottom of Spearfishing Magazine's home page www.spearfishingmagazine.com. It let's you run all the math... and it agrees with my #s above.

Chad

Chad Carney:
The same tank lasted 4.8 minutes at a fast swim pace where I swam 770 ft at 4 ft. of depth, with no push-offs from the walls. SAC of 1.1 cfm. (YMMV) This was an estimate of the speed I might use if needing to get up from a deep dive to the depth where I could use my stage deco tank, approx. 30 ft. If you do the math you will see that the tank would have allowed a theoretical horizontal swim of 192 ft at 115 fsw.

An ascent from 100 ft should take at least 6 minutes. You just ran out of gas twice.

Why would you bother having a pony bottle on a decompression dive since you would clearly be using doubles (right?!)?

Dude,

You're just not going to give up on this, are you? As stated twice now, I'm not going to get into yet another Scubaboard debate on "how big does your pony tank need to be?" There are many a dead horse on this forum regarding that issue.

-Charles

Gang,

My 6 foot tank and regulator came in yesterday. I got it all together and ran over to my LDS to get it filled. It's working just fine.

Some feedback on the documentation:

-The instructions are pretty weak on how to use the transfiller. The LDS owner and I had to fiddle around with it a while to figure out how to set everything to fill, bleed and remove the pony. The documentation mentions the transfiller and even shows a photo, but that's it. It took us a couple of tries to realize that the transfiller has a little collar on it that you turn to bleed it so it can be removed from the tank. I'm still not sure if the valve on the pony needs to be opened for filling or not.

-For some reason, I ended up with two transfillers in the box. Maybe just a lucky accident for me but they look identical.

-The mount for a Stiletto BC is a bit different. The Stiletto doesn't have a zipper mount so I went with the Grommet style mesh back and just zip tied it to the BC.

That's about it...

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom