68 Dead Giant Pacific Chitons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I went to walk on the beach at Fort Ebey State Park, Whidbey Island, on the northern side opposite to the spot where surfers take their boards when the sea is wrinkled by big swells. This time I did not end up picking up the usual trash, the beach was pretty clean, but photographing 68 dead Giant Pacific Chitons. I could not believe my eyes when I saw how many dead chitons were packed in about 380 feet of shore. It is not unusual to see these animals washed out on beaches dead, but I usually see two or three not sixty-eight!

I don't know why so many of these chitons died and got washed out in such short stretch of beach. Poisoning? (Except for a dead sea star and sea pen I did not see dead fish among the chitons). Fishing operations like trawling? Old age? (They were more or less the size of my hand, about 7/9 inches long or less)

to look at the pictures go to:

Open Water Bubbles: 68 Dead Giant Pacific Chitons

Cheers

Wow, that's terribly sad. I've personally never seen one of those. I can't help but think for so many to wash ashore it was disease or poisoning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom