6cf or 13cf Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
I use a 13 as well.

I strap a 13cf to my doubles in drysuit diving for argon! :D

A lot depends on where you dive, your SAC, depth and other factors. For the conditions I dive in, a 13 works. If you are diving a drysuit, the water must be pretty cool...:D

Oh yeah, temperature makes a big difference. Tropical only for me...

*looks in the corner, where a set of doubled 14cf tanks rest* Sweet! I was wondering what I'd do with those :)

As a member of a Fire Department SCUBA Team, my recommendation is a 19 ft. pony bottle. We carry ours attached to the main tank as a redundant system. A 6 or 13 is just cutting it too close.

lamont:
What assumptions are you using? Using 1.00 cu ft / min SAC rate (elevated, ****-hitting-fan breathing), 1 min at depth, 30 fpm ascent rate and 3 min @15):

depth: 1 min * 5 ata * 1 = 5 cu ft
ascent: 4 min * 3 ata * 1 = 12 cu ft
stops: 3 min * 1.5 ata * 1 = 4.5 cu ft

that's 21.5 cu ft.

You know you do this a lot, Lamont. It seems like we have the same thread every day. :D

meesier42:
ok guys , thanks for the quick responses, but it is my practice when something fails, I bail out, ie head for surface

That is the best practice to try to do, but when accounting for the "what-ifs" of what might go wrong, getting delayed at depth needs to be considered.

TheRedHead:
You know you do this a lot, Lamont. It seems like we have the same thread every day. :D

I don't even respond to all of them... There's some pony mounting thread that's been active recently that I haven't even bothered with...

lamont:
That is the best practice to try to do, but when accounting for the "what-ifs" of what might go wrong, getting delayed at depth needs to be considered.

For me Lamont, the "what ifs" I worry about are getting to the places I dive. I've seen so many fatal car accidents in big Asian cities that I am worried about just getting there safely. Especially motorbikes. Very nasty.

I started out with a 13, decided to upgrade to a 19 when that pony failed and am happy with it at most depths I dive. If I'm going really deep, I take a 30 along as well with a third reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom