6th D-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, aside from can light or long hose, part of the reason I like the simple DSS rig is the streamlined efficiency. Because of that, I don't see a reason to hang a bunch of things off the rig, and thus don't see a reason for more D-rings. My personal preference for storing things is a pocket, since it's more streamlined.

But if you prefer putting it there, with no long hose or can light, I see no reason why not. But please consider a pocket may be a better place - even for recreational diving.

Why not? Even OMS harness comes with two waist D-rings already...
The most important matter is your convenience and comfort. Once you get used it, there won't be any issue.

Thanks for all of the input. Very helpful. I've decided to give it a try. Easy enough to remove if I find that it doesn't work for me.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

One solution that might work outside of using a d ring on the right side is running a piece of bungee (looped) through a d ring plate on your webbing...that way, if you needed to cut something away, you can easily cut through the bungee.

After playing around with my harness...I decided to bend the rules a bit for my own comfort and convenience...I DID go back to putting a d ring on my right side because I like the feel of metal for clipping. I put the d ring behind my canister light and then tuck my 7 foot hose underneath my canister. I do not see the fuss when it comes to comfort and convenience. I really dislike floating wayward hoses.

I completely understand the need for minimalism and DIR...but sometimes the message can get confusing.

oceancrest67:
I do not see the fuss when it comes to comfort and convenience. I really dislike floating wayward hoses.

The whole reason why there is no Dring on the right side is because anything clipped there can interfere with long hose deployment. In this case, it's not about minimalism, but about safety and practicality.

Soggy:
The whole reason why there is no Dring on the right side is because anything clipped there can interfere with long hose deployment. In this case, it's not about minimalism, but about safety and practicality.

I do not disagree. Safety and practicality are key...so the struggle runs up against minimalism DIR concepts...streamlining...etc. Less is more, more or less.

If one needed more than one spool or reel without using pockets...(most wet suits do not come with pockets)...and strapping a pocket to the waist strap adds extra inefficiency...the only place left would be the d-ring on the crotch strap for all your spools and reels.

Believe me...I am constantly thinking and asking about the best way to work things.

Well, given that your question is about a "Hog" rig as opposed to a "DIR" rig, there is no reason you can't add another d-ring, or even 10 for that matter.

The "Hog" concept is about keeping your rig as simple as possible to acommodate YOUR style of diving and diving needs. It's a minimalist approach. That means YOU determine how minimal your rig needs to be.

The "DIR" concept is more of a discipline that is followed by a group of divers involved in a specific type of diving.

the K

As the original poster of the question, keep in mind:

1. I am interested in Hog and not being 100% DIR
2. I don't use a long hose so nothing tucked on my right
3. I don't use a can light
4. I do typically wear x-shorts with two bellows pockets

I have found the right d-ring valuable for temporarily hanging things that I've removed from my x-short pockets and either aren't ready to put it back or don't want to.

Regarding using a loop of bungee, I've found as that poster did that the firmness and feel of the d-ring is very important to getting something clipped off correctly.

Always learning and striving to be more efficient with each dive....

Divin'Hoosier:
1. I am interested in Hog and not being 100% DIR
2. I don't use a long hose so nothing tucked on my right
3. I don't use a can light
4. I do typically wear x-shorts with two bellows pockets
I thougth the long hose was Hog.

There are no scuba police so put as many D-rings on as you see fit. This post would be more appropriate in the Basic Scub forum or maybe the BC forum.

Green_Manelishi:
Or you could try something innovative like ...

www.green-manelishi.com/main/products/productsindex.html

I use one of these and I like it:
Bryden-Buckle-400.jpg

Based on my experience of using this buckle I believe the entanglement of the longhose because of the 6th D-ring is a non-issue unless you place something ridiculous there and do it so that it's on top of the longhose.

I think the reason it was not adopted into the hogarthian config is because they didn't have these Bryden buckles around at the time, and they didn't want to use a regular keeper and D-ring as that would have made removing and putting on the canister a PITA - and of course most people do this every dive and not just in case of an exceptionally tight restriction or an emergency requiring dumping weights.

So what do I use it for? Mostly nothing, but when I took my ANDI tech course (non-DIR) we sometimes clipped bottles on both sides, so then it was necessary (though ideally I prefer to clip all the stages, or 2 max in my case, on the left side. I've also clipped some small tihngs there, like a spool, that I was about to need soon and didn't want to put it into a thigh pocket from where it would have taken slightly longer to retrieve.

Bottomline: You don't need it in theory (if you DIR), but it's nice to have there when you do for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom