7 Day Liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calle Roo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey, I know this is a new liveaboard dive operation new to Puerto Penasco as of December, but...

• Is this something you would be interested in?
  • Is there great diving in the Sea of Cortez?
  • 7 Days for $2000 / 3 meals a day, tanks included. Is the price reasonable?

I know there are better destinations, but is the price reasonable for this kind of trip? I never have been, but for me, a 4 hour drive to Rocky Point is well worth not spending $500+ on airfare.

Included : Your accommodations and housekeeping; all meals, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages; fuel surcharges; any marine park fees; port fees; up to four guided dives per day (conditions permitting); tanks, air, and weights; use of kayaks; dinner on the day of embarkation and breakfast on the day of disembarkation

Additional fees would be Anything purchased on board such as gear, clothing and sundries, dive training and certifications, massages and body treatments, and alcoholic beverages. Tipping is entirely up to you, and we ask you to wait until the end of the trip

Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - eat, sleep & dive....

I fish the midriff area pretty frequently, huge tidal swings = unreal currents, and the winds there can be pretty serious.
I have done some snorkeling and found the viz to run in the 10-30' range, but not a ton to see. All in all it would not be my pick for a dive destination. You could go to Playa Del Carmen and dive your brains out for a week for pretty close to $2K, including airfare.

Some years ago I dove that area on a regular basis but only in the fall and early winter. I avoided it all other times of the year due to the excessive run off from the Colorado river which emerges in to the Sea of Cortez in that area and tended to greatly reduce the visibility to a muddy consistency. Now all the local vacation home development with their cesspool sewage and the Arizona week end warriors who can only add to the mix

When I was diving the area it was very productive for shell collecting and spear fishing. Some of my prised conchology specimens were harvested there as well as a long remembered tussle with a pez ferte--when they were legal.

I think the charter has potential for the adventuresome diver who likes to dive in virgin territory. There must be literally thousands of unexplored - never dove - coves in the in the Sea of Cortez which can only be reached by boat and are silently waiting for bubble blowers. But be aware of the huge tidal changes..almost as great as the famous Bay of Fundy--which is something to experience...out running the incoming tide (I do mean running)..and of course the famous Baja winds the "Nortes" that blow and blow and blow...

It is my considered opinion that the price is a tad expensive--around $1200 to $1500 would be a better target price.

<< I note you are associated with El Mar in Mesa...Great well run operation! It has been about 20 years since I have had contact with Gene--Hope the famous "Arizona Cowboy" diver is still kicking...If so extend my regards. >>

Yeah, looks like they hit some different spots. I go to Puerto Penasco a few times a year, to party of course, and only dove there once.

Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - eat, sleep & dive....

Great feedback you guys, and comparing prices, I do agree, if it was $1200 or so, it would be more tempting for me.

Yeah, I did my OW certs at El Mar. Love their shop, and have been pleased with all of my interractions with them. I've also been on 2 of thier San Carlos trips, which is great, because they have that huge bus to transport, and they recently got their own boat, called the Piesquita in SC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom