7 mile beach???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As a rule, I have not stayed in Grand Cayman in awhile, preferring to transit to Little or the Brac. This past Thursday I was there overnight as to ensure that my youngest son got himself on the plane back to Florida. That way his mother would not kill me for keeping him longer than spring break. She was already mad that she had to work and couldn’t come down with us. Happy Wife =Happy Life
Anyway Thursday evening we walked over to 7 mile beach at the public walkway near Pepper’s restaurant. I was astonished to see the lack of beach with buildings projecting into the water in front and behind us.
1711903410810.jpeg

As a resident of Central Florida, I understand the power of a great title. Birthplace of Speed, Worlds most Famous Beach, House of the Mouse and Party til You Puke come to mind. While I have read and heard stories about the decline of the area I didn’t expect this. As has been said, “A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.” Be Safe

Wow--it that a representative photo of all of 7-Mile Beach?

Hi @BrackaFish

My family has been to Grand Cayman 10 times but have not stayed on SMB or West Bay since 2005. I remember large swaths of wide, open beach. I do not recognize your photo at all :(

I lived a total of about 5-6 years (late 70s then - late 80s)on GCM - No where did 7MB look like that.

My wife and I have been going to Grand Cayman since 2002 and last visited in 2015. We were just there over Spring Break (March-Apr 2024). The tides over the years has taken away 7 mile beach year by year. The Marriott, which used to have the largest portion of 7 mile, no longer has a beach. (Gone!). The island has changed a lot over the years and not in a good way. The new rules of you dont need to live there to own there and the tax free nation has caused outsiders to build up and take over. We only saw locals working at a few places.

I was on GC in December for the first time in 4 years and I was shocked. The amount of construction of high rise condos all the way beyond West Bay is astonishing. There were traffic jams every day, (and night) and it seemed that the drivers are becoming more aggressive.There has been an increase in DUI and car accidents of late, and I felt I was risking my life every evening on the road ways.
Prices for everything, groceries, restaurants and diving are eye watering.
The Cayman Compass reports on violent crime most weeks.

GC has become an ugly, overdeveloped, overpriced, tourist trap. Never again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom