737 in Victoria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl It's going down in Courtenay.
No its not they were not able to come up with the cash flow. To withstand a court battle.

The funding wasn't the reason it tanked- the doofuses who were running the project were (it wasn't handled exclusively by ARSBC).
That is the reason and the plain fact that the band had issues with the use. And the inablility to get along with others.
It ain't coming to Vancouver as no one bothered to be diplomatic with the Band Chiefs.
What band are you talking about ?
Support from local dive store owners flopped because of a certain nitwit whose mere participation was enough to turn them off.
Would you be so kind to say whom this is as this is news to me. Please do tell that may save loads of new problems. You seem very informed and when I spoke with ARSBC about this they had a complete different take. I would like to know about one thing I keep hearing about Victoria has anybody talked to the local band ? And have them agree first ? The ARSBC needs to revamp the idea about shore dives. The lack of cool shore dives like a 737 is a good reason not to come up and spend your cash flow. The idea of non shore dives to wrecks is just silly. You add more risk by it being a boat dive. Now others will lie just to do a dive. And the ONLY way they(ARSBC) becomes responsible is if they maintain and own it after it hits the bottom in Canada it is now your own problem if you have issues for doing the dive.
Cheers
Derek

whozamajigit:
Well guys, the official, latest word on the 737 is that the ARSBC is trying to back out because they feel that a shore accessible wreck will invite too much danger and therefore gigantic liability issues for themselves. They'd rather see us sink it at Brotchie Ledge or off Albert Head, but the problem with that is that in that case only the Ogden Point Dive Centre profits because we'd be the only group to run regular charters out to it. And even though we like making money, we don't like screwing everyone else. So if you'd like to do the dive community a huge favour, voice your support for the project. You're hearing this straight from the horse's mouth, I was at work at the dive shop this morning, and Erin had to cancel a trip to Comox to finalize the purchase of the plane because the ARSBC is pussyfooting around.

Chris @ OPDC

Hey Chris, welcome to the board. I think I spoke to you over the phone a few days ago about BP/W systems.

It's unfortunate that a shore accessable wreck dive presents too large of a liability issue for the ARSBC. Every OW course I know of warns divers about the associated risks involved with wreck diving. Despite all of this, there are people out there who feel the need to blame others for their own stupid decisions. It is even more unfortunate that the legal reality allows this to happen.

While a wreck off of Ogden Point would directly benifit OPDC, a(nother) wreck off Brotchie Ledge would dramaticly benifit the store. I would have thought the ARSBC would be more interested in benifiting all of the dive stores in Victoria rather than primarily one store. Personally though, I think the biggest benifit would be to just get the sucker under water so I can shove a regulator in my mouth and stop saying benifit. :)

On a side note, diving both the San Pedro and a 737 in one dive would be pretty effing cool.

Best of luck with the 737.

SeanQ

wolf eel:
....snip....The idea of non shore dives to wrecks is just silly.

Not if you're a dive shop. Evidently the lobby has power. I'd be willing to bet my balls that it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with who will profit..... it's an interesting development..... shops effectively "owning" dive sites.....

I would think that the ARSBC has discovered that the way to finance their next project is to "sell" their current project..... Who is working in whose interest now...... It's all becoming very cloudy and very political.

The next thing you know the ARSBC will be auctioning wrecks to the operators.....

R..

Diver0001 Not if you're a dive shop. Evidently the lobby has power. I'd be willing to bet my balls that it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with who will profit..... it's an interesting development..... shops effectively "owning" dive sites
I agree but it would still make them more money if they could do both shore and boat dives. just use a smaller boat.
I would think that the ARSBC has discovered that the way to finance their next project is to "sell" their current project
It does need money and they do need to sell themselves.
Who is working in whose interest now...... It's all becoming very cloudy and very political.

The next thing you know the ARSBC will be auctioning wrecks to the operators.....
UMMMMM Im biting my lip. I want to see everybody and the dog diving and it is just not going to happen if it keeps going the way it is. Their is no money in sinking wrecks but their is if you need to teach classes and teach new divers and give things to be seen. You do not need to protect us from ourselves. Sink them as shore dives as well and they will come.
Cheers

wolf eel:
Their is no money in sinking wrecks but their is if you need to teach classes and teach new divers and give things to be seen. You do not need to protect us from ourselves. Sink them as shore dives as well and they will come.
Cheers

Well.....You're right about one thing. I'm sure that sinking them as shore dives will bring the divers. The wreck at Porteau Cove gets alot of divers but the shops are only selling air (and to a lesser extent the training). The Chaudiere on the other hand is probably a more lucrative dive for the shops because they can still sell the air but also the boat ride, the guide (in some cases), the lunch, you name it. It's also more expensive for the shops to operate like that but my gut feeling is that they still make more profit by keeping the wreck out of reach of the shore divers.....

The last time I was in Schelt I was talking to one of the operators about the airplane. They told me that they were trying to find ways to raise $50,000 to get it sunk there and they seemed convinced that they had a positive return on investment picture for the 50 grand. I think you need to sell a lot of air to make 50 grand and I think if you're investing that kind of money to get the wreck that your instinct as a business person would be to keep some measure of control over it.

R..

SeanQ:
It's unfortunate that a shore accessable wreck dive presents too large of a liability issue for the ARSBC. Every OW course I know of warns divers about the associated risks involved with wreck diving. Despite all of this, there are people out there who feel the need to blame others for their own stupid decisions. It is even more unfortunate that the legal reality allows this to happen.
Porteau Cove has wrecks that are accessible from the shore. The idea that shore accessible wrecks are a new thing in Southern BC isn't correct. It sounds more like a smoke-screen.

It's really sad how politics and personal agendas get in the way of projects like this.

Daryl Morse Porteau Cove has wrecks that are accessible from the shore. The idea that shore accessible wrecks are a new thing in Southern BC isn't correct. It sounds more like a smoke-screen.

It's really sad how politics and personal agendas get in the way of projects like this.
All the main wrecks are boat dives. Every Wreck I think from the ARSBC is a boat dive ? The ARSBC is very much convinced that it is the best way. But that fails the diving community.
Cheers
Derek

Looks like yet another plan for the 737.

Seems to me that applying for permits before moving the plane would be a smarter move considering the history this plane has.

http://www.canada.com/victoria/story.html?id=edb289b8-3151-47b4-b5c2-6055f50a48a2

A Boeing 737 aircraft that for years soared high above the clouds will be towed by barge from Comox to Chemainus overnight May 24-25 to a new life below the surface of the sea.

It's been a turbulent journey so far for the 737, once owned by Pacific Western Airlines, then Canadian Pacific Airways, and then Air Canada. The 737 was introduced by Boeing in 1967 as a short-to-medium range commercial passenger jet. An attempt to sink the aircraft off Comox as an artificial reef was grounded last year by objections from the community.

Plans last week to load the plane on a barge and head south to friendlier waters fell through when the tug boat operator had equipment problems.

The scary part of the overnight trip will be squeezing the 737 and its 30-metre wingspan through 55-metre-wide Dodd Narrows, five nautical miles south of Nanaimo. It takes just six hours to sail from Comox to Chemainus, but the tug's trip with the super-sized cargo will take longer as the crew waits for a flood tide to load and the right tide to squeeze through the narrows.

All going as planned, the 737 will be submerged in September, making it the first large aircraft to be used as an artificial reef -- and the novelty is attracting attention worldwide, said Tex Enemark, president of the Artificial Reef Society of B.C.

"It's unprecedented," he said of the project in an telephone interview from Vancouver.

Discovery Channel will film the transfer as part of a documentary. The plane's voyage by barge from Vancouver to Comox in January 2004 was carried by newspapers and magazines in Europe, said Enemark.

"The plan is to pick it up in Comox sometime next week, put it a on barge and move it to Chemainus...then we'll be applying for permits," he said.

The permitting process "is an elaborate game of snakes and ladders," said Enemark. But so far, Chemainus appears to be putting out the welcome mat for the new attraction. Graham Bruce, the area's MLA, is an avid diver and recently presented the ARSBC with a cheque from the province for $15,000. The municipality of North Cowichan came up with another $15,000. Then a private donor gave $5,000.

The plane itself was donated to the society by a Tennessee scrap dealer.

Preparing and sinking the plane as a reef seems expensive at $60,000, but it's nowhere near the cost of submerging a large navy vessel, which has cost the society an average $400,000, said Enemark.

The aircraft will be fixed to a platform, suspending it above the ocean floor near Thetis Island, in deep enough water to keep the top of the tail about 12 metres below the surface.

The aluminum shell of the aircraft has been completely stripped and scrubbed and has received initial approval from government inspectors, said Enemark.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

Here is some more info on the 737 project from 49th parallel dive charters website. They are working in conjunction with the ARSBC to sink the 737 in Stuart Channel between Chemainus/Ladysmith & Thetis Island.

It is sounding like the plane will not be accessable as a shore dive and this may be the first artificial reef in our area with advertising on it.

http://www.divemaster.ca/boeing/index.htm

deepdiverbc:
Here is some more info on the 737 project from 49th parallel dive charters website. They are working in conjunction with the ARSBC to sink the 737 in Stuart Channel between Chemainus/Ladysmith & Thetis Island.

It is sounding like the plane will not be accessable as a shore dive and this may be the first artificial reef in our area with advertising on it.

http://www.divemaster.ca/boeing/index.htm

Just saw the plane on a barge on BCTV tonight. It is now on its way to be sunk. They showed it going through 'Dog Narrows' (?). They didn't discuss how accessible it would be, although the Chemainus locals sounded really pleased about the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom