8 brakes on a 50min dive caused by photographers???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well all I can say now is I will be even more careful, and try to inform others of the damage they are doing.

I know that my normally good bouyancy skills went out the window when I got a camera in my hand.

I have found the ooposite. I think using a camera improves your dive skills rapidly...

If you want an eye opener, go to Hanauma bay and watch the busloads of people

walk on the reef in fins. (why do we want every beautiful place to be so accessible

to everyone?)

I do agree with Roatan man about run-off and overuse of chemicals being the grim

reaper. Reef Check confirms this. I am not saying not to improve and make divers

aware.... but it does strike me like the guy who smokes a pack a day worrying his

plane will crash. We should mobilize over the real threats, instead of too much

handwringing on this one. Boat anchors another one...make it a violation to throw

one on a live reef. Put in more buoys.

I don't believe anybody was trying to say the original poster was trying to be inflamatory, but that whomever wrote the study might be. I can't say because I honestly didn't read the study.

I do know that I don't make contact when I am taking pictures. I won't say that I never have made contact though. If I am taking a picture and I get hit by surge I might make contact with the reef. I can say that I haven't broken anything off even then though and that contact would have taken place whether or not I had a camera in my hands. I still caught myself with one finger and pushed myself away from the reef.

I agree with some that maybe this is more representative of divers in that area. Perhaps they are not as environmentally aware as divers in other areas. Different cultures different views.

reidman:
Well I take a lot of underwater pictures and I can safety say I have never broken anything off a reef.

I've been diving over 30 years and have excellent bouyancy control and diving control due to a lifetime of being in caves, on reefs, and doing quite technical diving. However, I would never make the above comment. While I never remember breaking anything outright, I don't spend every moment underwater watching my fins, guages etc. I have watched other excellent divers manage to break something (however small) and be totally oblivious. To say one has "NEVER" broken anything is...... well........indicative of possible naivity.

Think about all the really really small stuff that's out there?

You're moving in for a shot, you look for an appropriate spot to place a finger (gloveless) to steady yourself. Appropriate means it's hard but it's not going to bite back. You stick out that finger, maybe use a finger and thumb to hold onto a small ridge on the rock, you compose the shot and then push yourself away with that same finger. This even applies to the non photographer moving in for a close look at something. With gloves maybe it's 2 fingers.

Humm.... what was under that finger??? Perhaps that's the question. Maybe the people who did the study rushed up to the places where those fingers were placed, pulled out their magnifing glasses and looked for all the tiny little things that could have been smashed. I wonder where they put their fingers?

Okay, well I've never done that finger thing but I hear about it.

Stephan:
----
Hi Jcsgt - The study has been conducted while observing 353 divers in Saint Lucia - although this is only one dive spot, the study, to be scientifically valid, has to take into account the 'representativeness' of the observed cluster. Statistical methods then extrapolate the findings to make them representative for a 'generic group of divers'. But you are right to say divers visiting Saint Lucia might not be representative for the entire diving community - I doubt there are alot of divers from Asia diving in Saint Lucia just to give one example... the study therefore might be more representative for divers commonly diving in the Caribbean. The cluster is big enough for this save bet. Cheers, Stephan

I think the study is valid regardless of region. They studied divers in a vacation resort. I'd say the study is valid for divers visiting a high use vacation area regardless of culture. Unless one can think up a reason why Asian divers that vacation have some huge training advantage over American divers on vacation for example, I can think of no reason why this sample is not applicable to the entire overall diver population?

The fact is that the majority of divers likley dive a LOT less than the average SB diver. I know a lot more divers that dive one vacation a year than I know divers who dive on a regular basis. Granted I live in a rather NON-Diving state. Howeve this non-diving state has more certified divers than most places at least in the US.

Rather then deny the study, I think one objective is to try to use it to make others more aware of potential impact. The study indicates that when a DM points out the error, the error is corrected.

So my thought is that we as responsible divers have a responsibiilty to act as mentors, and examples. Sure some don't care, but I think most do, or at least act like they do if you put it in their face.

I have to agree with the study. First let me say I have sinned via kicks, and bumps. But as a diver of 25yrs the rule has always been “no more than 1 finger on the reef or sand”. I have forgone many shots that I later saw fellow photogs wedging in to get. Many of these divers are DM and Instructor certified.

After my wife and I observed another instance of reef decimation to get a shot I have decided I can’t sit by anymore without commenting. This will be difficult and I am trying to think of polite ways to start the conversation. I tried the indirect approach with one person who had been herding a pair of ornate ghost pipefish to get a shot while breaking up their whip coral. Later the fellow photog seemed oblivious, agreeing any harassment of marine life for photography was wrong but went on to show me their great shots of the pipefish.

Buoyancy is the answer, the only answer, plain and simple when it comes to diver damage. But one has to care to begin with.

Most divers in vacation locations like St. Lucia are likely vacation divers who get to do ten dives or so a year. That certainly is not enough time to perfect buoyancy. That comes with time and practice.

A diver with a camera does not a photographer make. Many of the divers I see in my travels have some type of point and shoot camera, even if only a disposable one. The inexpensive cost of cameras have made them available to all divers. This no doubt has added to reef damage.

In my opinion I truly believe that generation differences have equalled attitude differences towards the reef along with other things in life.

"It's all about me" is not just a bumper sticker to generate a laugh.

We can only be responsible for our own actions, and to try to educate the rest about responsibility.

I have probably inadvertently bumped coral on occasion, but I try real hard to be real careful. I don't believe that I have made 8 breaks of coral in 50 dives, much less in 50 minutes.

However, we all have seen inconsiderate lunkheads that just don't know any better or just don't care. We can try to lead by example, but we aren't the enforcers. We do get indirectly affected by irresponsible divers, but gentle education is probably the best approach.

W

Well, I once saw an associate diving with a video housing crash onto a 5-6' diameter table coral and send big chunks of it rolling down the 5,000 ft wall at Lighthouse Reef in Belize. And she was an instructor!

I know I take great caution in not making contact with any coral, soft coral, sponge or anything else that might break. I can't say I've been 100% successful, but I've seen plenty of bouancy control challenged divers do incredible damage without a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom