$90 USB Cable!!!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuyler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Hollis DG02 on the way and I understand I can hook it up with a ACI USB cable but everywhere I look online they are $90. Years ago, the same thing use to exist for cell phones - completely unnecessary and these days you can get cables for $2 from places like monoprice.com and dealextreme.com.

So, with dive cable is it possible to build my own (not sure if it's a straight cable or has some components in it) or is there a place online that's reasonable for something that likely a few dollars if not cents to make?

Thanks!

Two things on this.
1) The Oceanic USB cable for most of the Oceanic PDCs is also $90. Too much expensive.
2) Two points that justifies the high price could be :
2.1) The little amount of wires produced (this also applies to PDCs)
2.2) The PDC end of the wire should connect to the PDC water pins sensor, and not to a normal electronic connector, making the wire something complex and different to a normal cell phone USB cable.

You know - I got the whole computer that actually needs to do some calculations, display information and be waterproof for the cost of two cables.....doesn't that seem a little wrong?

I have an Oceanic Veo 250 and the cheapest I have every seen the cable is $89.00. Needless to say I have never purchased it because of this. I have looked everywhere.

I realise that scuba is expensive (as I type this there's an ad for the Shearwater Predator beside the textbox) - it just shouldn't be stupid. It's the same deal as when I bought a $85 progressive scan DVD player a few years back. The FutureShop guy tried to sell me a $150 monster HDMI cable that would make the picture so much better than the cheap HDMI cables.

These cables are easy to fabricate. The only reason why the dive companies can get away with such rip off pricing is because its a small market and its not worth it for the 3rd parties to duplicate them hence the exhorbinant pricing.

If you're handy with wires you can easily fabricate your own. It's impossible for these cables to have fancy hardware in them because 1) its not worth it and 2) its not practical. Even Apple with all their obscene paranoia crap doesn't find it worthwhile. At most they put a resistor between two of the pins, but you have to remember, they have 30 pins to work with, most of our computers have 2-3 pins meaning its not possible.

USB had 4 pins, VCC (+5Volts), Data +, Data -, and Ground. Can be seen here: USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

It is easily determinable which pin does what with a volt meter. I will be fab-ing my own cable for my Nitek Trio.

Agreed! $90.00 for a cheap a$$ little cable is obscene.

I wish Apple would take the iPhone and make it water tight with a pressure sensor. Lot's of apps could be written for it and when you're done with the dive, call ahead for pizza.

InfraRed or Bluetooth. Let's get into the 21st century, people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom