A Beginning Workout target to This Middle-age Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416:
...At my age, slow and controlled is the way to go! :D

I have been reliably informed that is the way to go at any age:crafty:

Fast jerky movements are ok if you are going for a powerlifting record but for body building slow controlled movements are better. If you jerk your injury risk rises greatly. I have seen some books recommend faster movements for more explosive sports like football and basketball, but diving is not an explosive sport.

The routine that started this thread is a good one when coupled with a good sense of how much weight is appropriate. But concentrating on that particular routine misses what I think is the key element.

Which exercise you do isn't nearly as important as doing some exercise. What you eat isn't as important as how much you eat. Both within some bounds of course.

I just finished a trip to "paradise". While I traveled around various venues I was struck by the observation that most people were FAT. In a land where exercise ought to be a piece of cake folks were obese. On the other hand on the beach many guys and gals looked positively emaciated. Those who looked like real people and demonstrated some physical fitness were few and far between.

Lest anyone think I am picking on that particular place; what I observed there is no different than anywhere else I've been over the past year. It just stood out more because skin is a bigger part of the costume there than in colder climes.

So:
-Do Something every day. Do more tomorrow than you did today. Don't let the search for the "perfect exercise program" delay you even one day. Its all good.
-Eat less. Don't let some "expert" tell you what to eat. Just eat less. Learn what it is to actually be hungry. Then eat when you are hungry. Once you learn to listen to your body selection of the right foods will come naturally. The downside to this is that you will discover that something around 90% of the food in the supermarket isn't good for you.
-Recognize that there is no such thing as a "diet" or an "exercise program". All there is is a Life Style that is lived every day for the rest of your life.

Sorry to preach. But this is something I am passionate about. I attempt to follow my own advice. But knowing is a lot easier than doing.

Exactly... no magic pills... just changed thinking!

...but it can be important to note.. that a particular exercise routine can get the body into habits and the mind will catch up and get into the swing of alter the routine as necessary...

...also... I find I need to change my exercises performed, order executed, and light/heavy days on almost a weekly basis to keep myself from getting bored... it's refreshing to see what I have on the list as "next", rather than think to myself "Oh crap... got this and that next... and four more sets to go before I can hit the chips."

I change around a lot too. For example, when I got home I had three weeks of snow to shovel off the two driveways(weight and aerobics). Then back to the gym. This weekend I'll be opening up our rural place. That will be a 20 mile plus snowmachine ride followed by building a snow ramp from the river over an 8' bank and then breaking out a few miles of trail. Enough wood is already cut and split to keep me wwrm so all I have to do is haul it from the woodpile the 50' or so to the house.

Not a lot of work; but enough I won't have to worry about eating more calories than I burn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom