A buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a buddy who has no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I'm antisocial, I don't want a buddy in the first place

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But most if not all 2nd stages are downstream devices- they will freeflow in a fail situation. A freeflow reg is not nice but still usable i tried an airbuddy today takes practice but works in fact i used it for about 25mins on a dive today (just to try it) although i did drink somewater the first few breaths then my primary 2nd stage went into freeflow at that moment a good 5 seconds of panic at 50 feet. Note toself try new toys in pool first!!!
Back to question
it depends! If he needed my octo underwater I would get his credit card first, i might even buy him an octo!!

There's alway buddy breathing and recreational limts means that a fairly easy free ascent is always available if need be.

I would rather dive solo than rely on an air breathing human (panicky by nature) for buddy breathing when the load hits the fan.

I now dive for photography with a 1960's double hose reg, no octo, and no inflator either.

I am a bad person.

Edit: - just to prove it...

_MG_3113a.jpg

I choose no, but I think it depends on the person. If its carelessness definetly not if there is a good reason and he or she speaks to me about it I would if I was confortable with the location and the dive plan.

Depends on where you draw the line wrt "recreational"... if this implies dives within the NDL, or with only 5mins or so real decompression stops, and without physical overhead conditions, I don't care whatsoever if my buddy has an octo or not, so YES, I'll dive with him...
I'm diving myself with double regs and my buddy would be low on air or having an OOA, he'll get my spare reg. And if I'd have a problem with one reg I simply switch to the other one, so I don't rely on my buddy for helping me out.

I wouldn't have any problems with doing a recreational dive with someone who had no octo, so long as they are as comfortable buddy breathing as I am. An octo provides convenience, not true redundancy. A gas supply is only as redundant as the number of first stage regs connected to it, and if I have a failure that requires me to breathe off a buddy's tank, I could care less whether we surface while sharing that first stage through one 2nd or two. The octo is nice, but really not a big deal IMHO.

Out of curiosity though, for those of you who say you wouldn't dive with a buddy who has no octo, would you dive with a buddy who doesn't have an adequate gas supply to get you both to the surface safely while breathing from it if a failure happens near the end of the dive? Do you do the gas planning necessary to ensure that, or are you just assuming that the octo you're counting on will be able to supply enough gas to get two excited divers back to the boat? Do any of you who require a buddy to have an octo ever do "Be back at the boat with 500 psi" dive plans?

On a deeper NDL dive, I'd be far more concerned with how much gas was in my buddy's tank than with how many second stages were connected to it.

As a new diver, and new to the board, I find this an interesting question. I was going to ask about how often you are required to have an Octo to dive in a charter or resort situation, I never imagined it would be such and issue. In my training which was a semester long university course taught by an old school dive master we practiced buddy breathing every time we were in the pool, twice a week for and hour for twelve weeks, so twenty four hours in the pool. Were didn’t start on gas right away but probably four weeks in, so sixteen hours of pool time with buddy breathing exercises every day. The rigs we had to get certified in had no Octo and I remember being told the octo was necessary as in a teaching capacity, but an option for the average guy. We did drills in the pool where instructors would come from behind you and your buddy and mess up our gear, i.e. turn off tanks, tear of masks, inflate BC’s, etc. often you would both find yourself with a failure. Working out the problem together was the object and buddy breathing was often part of the solution. I had my tank shutdown without my knowledge while helping my buddy through another scenario so know what it feels like to have the airflow stop. While these were controlled scenarios in an 80 degree pool with unlimited vis they built a lot of confidence and when I set myself up I did not get an octo. I have very little dive experience to date, but nobody has said anything to me when I show up to dive without it. It is my understanding that if my second stage fails it will fail open so having an additional second stage for myself makes no sense to me. If I am out of air or the first stage fails another second stage does me no good. This sport is all about risk management, on deep dives and/or in an overhead environment I see it as being more important, but in forty feet of water off the beach? Not as much.

Good post Saltair, and good thinking. It seems like you had an unusually thorough open water class by current standards!

Back
Top Bottom