A couple Questions RE: FIBR and Diving Roatan in general..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajames54

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife found a package deal to FIBR .. typically I'm not a fan of larger resorts or AIs, however the prices are pretty good, the pics look nice and I have to admit that I like the not having to plan part of things..

The reviews say that FIBR has decent food but is always served buffet style.. if I want to go out for a better meal are there any close?
Can I just grab a cab to a restaurant or are we stuck with the Buffet?

I understand that you are assigned a boat and a DM / leader /guide...whatever.
How agreeable are they about changing.. I don't want to be stuck with a DM I don't like and I am even less happy about being stuck on a boat with numpties.. ('cause ya have to answer so many questions when they drown themselves).

Is the shore diving from FIBR actually OK? I'm given to understand that at some resorts it is less than worthwhile.

If it is worthwhile would we be able to grab tanks and go out at sunset?

How are the currents? typically we both dive with small full foot fins.. fine for Cuba, Cayman, tuulum but NOT fine for Cozumel. I would not have thought to ask except the reviews for the Shark dive make better fins sound like a good idea.

Final Question.. Given all the other questions will I be happy at FIBR or would I be better off paying up for somewhere else, if so where?

Thanks

My wife found a package deal to FIBR .. typically I'm not a fan of larger resorts or AIs, however the prices are pretty good, the pics look nice and I have to admit that I like the not having to plan part of things..

That's the big plus. AI's make economic sense on Roatan if you plan on more than two dives a day. The dive prices at a guest house day-dive op, one-at-a-time, would kill you, plus the hassle & time for cooking food. For divers on a dive vacation, AI's work well. Occasionaly, FIBR issues some incredible rates.

The reviews say that FIBR has decent food but is always served buffet style..

That would be CoCoView. I believe that FIBR hangs onto the waitstaff system.

if I want to go out for a better meal are there any close? Can I just grab a cab to a restaurant or are we stuck with the Buffet?

The food quality on property, although a bit unpredictable, is pretty good overall. If you gotta haveta, GEO's and Romeo's are a five minute cab ride away. Even better is "The View" which most people don't get to. The West End is best viewed as an evening out as the cab ride will take 35 minutes. There are two, arguably three remarkably good restaurants in the West End, as well.

I understand that you are assigned a boat and a DM / leader /guide...whatever.
How agreeable are they about changing.. I don't want to be stuck with a DM I don't like and I am even less happy about being stuck on a boat with numpties.. ('cause ya have to answer so many questions when they drown themselves).

You can make changes, just see the director of the dive operations. I would stick with a DM if he is showing you the little cool stuff. A Seahorse on every dive, a Pipefish, and the like. Any idiot can find a Lobster, Eel, or a big Crab~ or bring fish food, a standard FIBR practice. The trick is the stuff the size of a quarter or less. Stick with that guy.

Is the shore diving from FIBR actually OK? I'm given to understand that at some resorts it is less than worthwhile.

Yes, it is the best there is on Roatan. The place across the channel, CoCoView has a slightly different and better access to it, but FIBR will let you come in, no problem.

If it is worthwhile would we be able to grab tanks and go out at sunset?

It is absolutely worthwhile. The idea of having an immovable 140' wreck, dead upright in 35~65fsw tied to your resort by a cable? What's the downside to that? Never ever skip a night dive. This is the only real weather protected night dive in Roatan, so far.

How are the currents?

Essentialy none. Some surface currents, if any they run .25 mph and all you do is submerge.

typically we both dive with small full foot fins..

OK for FIBR, not for CCV. FIBR requires no walking on sand to get to the shore dive. At FIBR, you just flop in. You'll not need booties.

Here's a real tip: Do a night dive in the area just directly to the NW of the FIBR Dive Gazebo. Between the beach and the rocky breakwall there is an oval shaped underwater basin that is rife with Green Morays.

fine for Cuba, Cayman, tuulum but NOT fine for Cozumel. I would not have thought to ask except the reviews for the Shark dive make better fins sound like a good idea.

The Shark dive you could do without fins. Pay attention to the briefing, don't let go of the lines.

Final Question.. Given all the other questions will I be happy at FIBR or would I be better off paying up for somewhere else, if so where?

Thanks

FIBR is a bargain, but CCV is my preference. FIBR is run in a Euro style dive pattern- one boat, one dive. In, out, in, out. At CCV you get 5 a day without a sweat. Two boats x 2 tanks per day + night dive. FIBR is designed as a resort with some diving, well- quite a bit of it. CCV is a no excuses dive resort.

Again, if you want more than 2 dives a day on Roatan, AI's are your only economical choice.

FIBR is also all buffet meals. The wait staff brings drinks but not the food. The food, on average, is good but not great. The place is not fancy but it is clean and comfortable. The shore diving is excellent and you can dive all you want off the gazebo. You can also ask them to take an extra tank out on the boat and drop you off in the lagoon right on top of the wreck on the way back in from the last dive. My wife and I have been there twice and will go again the future.

The director of Dive Operations is a guy named Robert. He is very friendly. You will meet him at the initial orientation the morning after you arrive. If you need something as far as a boat change, just ask him and he'll make it happen.
You can shore dive whenever you want at FIBR. The dive shop skiff runs from about 8 AM until about 8 PM. If you want to dive outside of those hours, you can bring tanks over to the Gazebo on the skiff and dive when you want. You just leave your empties there and they will retrieve them for you. The Gazebo is a relatively short walk back to you room (depending on what building you are in - at least it's pretty close to the main building.
In addition to the shipwreck, there are two nice walls - Newman's wall and CoCoView wall that are accessible from shore. The skiff will also drop you on the wall and you can then return back to the Gazebo. For that matter, the skiff driver, if properly motivated will take you over to visit CoCoView if you want...
For what you get for the price, FIBR is a good place to stay - many other things to do in addition to diving.
Enjoy.

I'm curious about the FIBR package deal. Would you mind sharing the details? Was it on their website? I too have been eyeing good deals to Roatan...just have to get the family kiddie vacation out of the way for some diving fun!

I'm curious about the FIBR package deal. Would you mind sharing the details? Was it on their website? I too have been eyeing good deals to Roatan...just have to get the family kiddie vacation out of the way for some diving fun!

The webiste is always devoid of $ numbers. Their deals change like the breezes.

You can bring the kids to FIBR altho you'll likely see more of them at AKR

Fantasy Island Travel Services.
USA travel center for Fantasy Island.
General Manager: Nick Palandra
P.O. Box 1675
Granbury, TX 76048
E-mail: npalandra@bonnebeach.com Telephone:817-579-8192, 800-676-2826
Fax:
817-579-2680

Thanks all.. Doc.. can you give me the names of those West End Restaurants? I am always up for a good meal..

Cajun ... I don't have deets yet.. one of my wifes running buddies is a travel agent and she keeps her eyes open for us..

best restaurant in West End and a splurge by Roatan standards:

Home

If you like Indian food, this is the place.

I consider Fantasy Island a good buy for what you get for your money, but you need to remember that you are still getting what you pay for. I do alot with all-inclusive resorts and don't consider this to be "all-inclusive". They are a 109 room resort with 3 meals and 3 dives included in the package. Right now the spring special has both divers and non-divers at the same price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom