A crown just fell off my molar. Nothing hurts but can I dive before I see my dentist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellyfishattack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know I sound utterly insane even asking, but would it hurt to go down to 10'. I just got new gear and it won't be this hot in Georgian Bay until next summer.

I'm going to ask a dentist if I can today, my dentist isn't in until Tuesday.

I don't know what my options for tooth restoration are: but I assume I'll need a post.

There is no abscess and no pain currently. I'm afraid infection may follow so I'll call an emergency dental service for advice as well. I sound utterly insane asking this question but I'm actually not...

You'll be fine. If you're not heat or cold sensitive where it fell off, it shouldn't bother you. There's no pressure issue.

Diving Doc

I would imagine no problem whatsoever. I was having a crown replaced and dived with a temporary crown. I broke the temporary crown and continued to dive without problem. There is nothing exposed that would cause a problem. Good diving

You'll be fine. If you're not heat or cold sensitive where it fell off, it shouldn't bother you. There's no pressure issue.

Diving Doc

Thank you for your reply. I'm not feeling any temp sensitivity. I think I was also getting a wee bit neurotic imaging pressure forcing bacteria into the remainder of the molar, lol. I'll dive tomorrow if it still feels fine. A shallow dive is very relaxing - not to the point that I get complacent.

As rslinger said, there won’t be a pressure issue. If you have the nerve exposed you will be feeling pain with hot and cold liquids. If you are not feeling that topside you shouldn’t at depth. Several years ago I was in Fiji and dove with what turned out to be decayed tooth under a crown that created an air pocket inside the crown. On descent this caused a squeeze and a little tooth pain until I descended to about 40’, after which the rest of the dive and the ascent was fine.

I would imagine no problem whatsoever. I was having a crown replaced and dived with a temporary crown. I broke the temporary crown and continued to dive without problem. There is nothing exposed that would cause a problem. Good diving

Thank you for your reply. If nothing hurts, I'll go for a nice, shallow, relaxing dive tomorrow.

As rslinger said, there won’t be a pressure issue. If you have the nerve exposed you will be feeling pain with hot and cold liquids. If you are not feeling that topside you shouldn’t at depth. Several years ago I was in Fiji and dove with what turned out to be decayed tooth under a crown that created an air pocket inside the crown. On descent this caused a squeeze and a little tooth pain until I descended to about 40’, after which the rest of the dive and the ascent was fine.

Thank you for your reply. I'll dive tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that molar has had a root canal now that I think about it. I have always 'heard' that tooth squeeze was pretty much agony. I'm glad tp hear it wasn't for you. I was actually slightly apprehensive when I took my OW (I have a tonne of fillings and have had a few root canals) but I forgot any worries as soon as I got to the lake the first time, lol.

If you kept the crown, you can re-attach it temporarily with a small amount of denture cement if you can get hold of some. That will protect the tooth and help if it's pressure or temperature-sensitive.

Best regards,
DDM

If you kept the crown, you can re-attach it temporarily with a small amount of denture cement if you can get hold of some. That will protect the tooth and help if it's pressure or temperature-sensitive.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you for your reply. I did keep the crown. It's slightly, slightly sensitive; I feel that may be due to the slightly jagged edges of the dental adhesive rubbing against my gums. I can hold hot and cold liquids over that tooth. It's not the same intensity of sensitivity that I've felt when I needed a cavity filled or when an abscess was lying latent. I'll see if I can get some at the drug store. :)

Thank you for your reply. I did keep the crown. It's slightly, slightly sensitive; I feel that may be due to the slightly jagged edges of the dental adhesive rubbing against my gums. I can hold hot and cold liquids over that tooth. It's not the same intensity of sensitivity that I've felt when I needed a cavity filled or when an abscess was lying latent. I'll see if I can get some at the drug store. :)
With all due deffernce to Duke I would be a LOT more concerned about a squeeze or the crown coming off at an inopertune moment if you decide to recement it yourself. No sensitivity at the surface means no sensitivity at depth. Leave it as it is and enjoy........ Of course dentistry may have changed in the five years since I retired

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom