A cruise that included three days of great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A success story for those of you contemplating this.

Several non-diving family members wanted to go on a 7 day cruise, and settled on the Norwegian Pearl with an itinerary of: Miami--at sea--Ocho Rios, Jamaica--Grand Cayman--Cozumel--at sea--Key West--Miami.

I contacted several dive shops well in advance of the cruise and booked dives as follows:

Grand Cayman -- Off The Wall Divers, morning wreck and reef
Cozumel -- Aldora, afternoon one-tank drift dive
Key West -- Captain's Corner, morning double-dip on the Vandenberg

I brought all my own gear except tanks and weights. I can carry everything in a backpack setup I've made that attaches to my backplate. I removed and checked the fins (due to size) and the linecutter (due to TSA paranoia) and carried it on for the air travel portion of the trip. There were no serious problems with security at the TSA checkpoint, the ports, or the ship, although inexperienced screeners that didn't know what it was asked questions and went through everything on one occasion.

Off The Wall Divers and Aldora were willing to run a boat to match the cruise ship's shore window. The shore window matched Captain's Corner's existing schedule. All operators were within easy walking distance of the cruise port, and there was plenty of time to make connections. The operators asked about my diving history and provided some great dives that were appropriate to my experience and abilities. No time wasted on checkout dives or the equivalent.

I didn't dive in Ocho Rios because the quality of the diving is (reportedly) poor and the available operators have mixed reviews.

A success story for those of you contemplating this.

Several non-diving family members wanted to go on a 7 day cruise, and settled on the Norwegian Pearl with an itinerary of: Miami--at sea--Ocho Rios, Jamaica--Grand Cayman--Cozumel--at sea--Key West--Miami.

I contacted several dive shops well in advance of the cruise and booked dives as follows:

Grand Cayman -- Off The Wall Divers, morning wreck and reef
Cozumel -- Aldora, afternoon one-tank drift dive
Key West -- Captain's Corner, morning double-dip on the Vandenberg

I brought all my own gear except tanks and weights. I can carry everything in a backpack setup I've made that attaches to my backplate. I removed and checked the fins (due to size) and the linecutter (due to TSA paranoia) and carried it on for the air travel portion of the trip. There were no serious problems with security at the TSA checkpoint, the ports, or the ship, although inexperienced screeners that didn't know what it was asked questions and went through everything on one occasion.

Off The Wall Divers and Aldora were willing to run a boat to match the cruise ship's shore window. The shore window matched Captain's Corner's existing schedule. All operators were within easy walking distance of the cruise port, and there was plenty of time to make connections. The operators asked about my diving history and provided some great dives that were appropriate to my experience and abilities. No time wasted on checkout dives or the equivalent.

I didn't dive in Ocho Rios because the quality of the diving is (reportedly) poor and the available operators have mixed reviews.
Good choices made there. Glad it all worked out. I also carry my complete rig, including wetsuit in a backpack

Looks like you had a nice trip. I just came back from a western Caribbean cruise with similar success.I was skeptical at first but my family and friends that are non divers were able to enjoy themselves while my wife and I did some diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom