A different look at an Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanshutter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I wanted to share a short film I made recently. Back in October, I was lucky enough for it to be selected to be shown at the San Diego Undersea Film Expo. It seems that most underwater films are very similar now days. So I wanted to challenge myself to do something a little different.

Earlier this year, a young artist, named Nick Carro approached me to ask my permission to draw an image from one of my films that had an octopus in it. I was flattered, but had one condition...that was for him to show me the final piece. Not only did produce an amazing piece of art, but he also filmed himself doing it. He was kind enough to allow me to use some of his footage to make this film.

This is different.....and I am curious to know what people think of it. It was a very difficult to edit, but I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think.
Enjoy!
Dustin

[video=vimeo;142186611]https://vimeo.com/142186611[/video]

Or Youtube

[video=youtube;CH2GHlrOVQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH2GHlrOVQM[/video]

What a great video! It would be interesting to about the circumstance that you made the video (where you were, the type of camera) and what software were you using to make those really cool transitions with?

You made a very cool piece of art.

I was at the SDUFE and your film was well received. Something different.

very nice. Pointillism (multiple colors of dots) or stippling (only a single color dot, usually black is used) is a fun medium to use. I stippled an octopus last year from a photo I shot.

What a great video! It would be interesting to about the circumstance that you made the video (where you were, the type of camera) and what software were you using to make those really cool transitions with?

You made a very cool piece of art.

Thank you! I filmed the coconut octopuses in Anilao, Philippines. It was over a few night dives. I used the canon 5d and a 100mm major lens. As for software, I use premiere, after effects, and some morphing software that I can't remember the name of...
glad you liked it.

Dustin

I was at the SDUFE and your film was well received. Something different.

Thanks. I try to be a little creative. Underwater videos can be very similar, which I am guilty of making as well. This was my 3rd time at SDUFEX, I always enjoy going. Great film expo and a great venue!

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 10:10 AM ----------

very nice. Pointillism (multiple colors of dots) or stippling (only a single color dot, usually black is used) is a fun medium to use. I stippled an octopus last year from a photo I shot.

I agree the Octopus is the perfect animal to use for that type of artwork!

Back
Top Bottom