A DM Candidate with a problem (lesson learned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and wishing that I dont get qualified for what i did. :( here is wht he told me

"PADI tries to maintain the quality of the people it certifies, and it's people doing things like this that undermines what they are trying to do. There are numerous occasions when people have claimed to be a DM or instructor, there's been a problem and PADI get insulted for producing poor professionals - when the truth is that it's mostly unqualified people claiming skills they don't have.- I would be happy if you never get qualified as you simply don't have the maturity to be a PADI Pro "

Either he's a jackass or you didn't tell us the whole story. What has not verifying divers' qualifications and gearing up before them to do with maturity?

Both mistakes seem like lessons easily learned. Check the qualification of divers in your care, and if you are uncomfortable standing around geared up, wait for them.

It's called experience, did you learn anything.

When that little voice in your head says, damn, I won't do that again, it's usually a sign that you learned something.

Hi...

Lessons that I learnt from this!!!

- Never assume that all divers are great (even though i read this forum every day but I didn’t convince my self that there are bad divers)

- Never depend on the LDS to check on the Qualifications, check for yourself.

- Gear up last! even if you are really fast at getting ready.

Looks like the LDS operations in your area hire non certified professionals to lead divers. This is typical.

If you haven't dove with the passengers, you cannot assume anything about their dive skills. The LDS can only confirm with certainty, whether or not the passenger is certified by a recognized dive agency. The LDS can ask questions about total dives, most recent experience, etc. but in the end you, and only you, can determine their skills. You can't do this unless you have personally dove with them.

So, take them to the easiest dive site until you're confident with their abilities.

A dive leader has multiple responsibilities, including loading tanks and equipment, checking recommended safety gear, boat line handling, mooring the boat, conducting the dive brief, fixing gear problems, etc. Depending on the situation, you can easily become over loaded mentally and physically.

Go slow. If you're overheated after securing the boat, get in the water and cool off. Conduct the dive brief, gear up and be the first in the water and last out after the dive. I'm assuming the Captain is available to help with passengers.

Looks like you have about a month of no diving to work on your stamina skills.

Mike

Dont stress too much we make mistakes and learn from them. I am in the same boat as I am completing my DM course at the moment. My instructor whenever we do a skill,briefing ect he will always ask "name 3 things you did well and 3 things you want to improve on" after doing this self assessment he will then go on to add anything else i did well that i didn't mention and also anything else which may be needing improvement. hang in there. Live your dream and continue.

The day you do everything perfectly is the day you stop learning, and i was always told to be worried if my instructor DIDNT criticize me since that would mean he had given up on me :D

Think the first mistake happened when you are leading a dive and not a qualified DM.
DMT's should not be leading dives unless under direct supervision. Thereby the instructor would have/should have seen the problems which obviously started at the dive shop.
I feel more blame is due to the instructor.
If you represented yourself as a doctor and messed up doing surgery on someone, who's fault is it? You or your hospital? Maybe both but ultimately the imposter is the one who is wrong.
I would some serious apologizing and perhaps even write to PADI to tell your side, before they receive a complaint from the instructor.
Honesty is always the most professional choice.

Am I understanding that he has been acting as DM while finishing his course? Did anyone at this dive shop know you were in training or did you tell them you were an actual DM?

This interesting story is a perfect example of what NOT to do in almost every conceivable way.

There are a few things on here that seemed to be over looked or not understood. You said you guiding certified divers and you are a DMT.In the eyes of Padi there is nothing wrong with this situation. All the divers were certified,which means they are able to dive with a buddy(also cetified) to a depth of 18 mts in conditons the same or better than they were trained in. So no problem there, iam guessing you know this dive site, so ideal to act as a "dive guide" As for using this as part of your DMT doesnt really make sense if your instructor was nt there to see what you did well or not so well.People forget there is a bid difference between a dive guide and a DM.
Having dived all around the world this is something i have found more common with divers from the USA,rely on the DM,you are certified you are responsible for yourself, DM will advice you on a plan, dive site,entry exit etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom