Question Do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer setting up by yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scooby Scuba Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I know in some country, DM, dive guide, or maybe the boat crew helps you set up your gear, even changing bottles during SI. My wife thinks this is great service, because her husband will double check the gear for her, and also saves divers energy, saves time, and makes the diving tour easier, so we tip them.

Just for discussion, do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer set up by yourself?

Generally on charters I let the crew set up my gear however I always double check everything myself just to be certain. Oh and if I'm diving Nitrox I watch the crew and verify the reading.

i set mine up Period.. i help my dive buddy set hers up in front of her mostly tank straps..

On charters I always set it up myself. Once in a while the DM would switch tanks and I let them do that but checked that my "Bio Tank Lock" was set properly. And checked air of course. In Panama it was just me and the DM on the boat for 4 days of charters. Once he switched out his own tank for an empty one and we did air share 40 feet from the surface. I asked him what was going on -- "Thanks for saving my life". And IMO he was a good DM-- mistakes happen.

Nobody sets my gear up but me. There's not a whole lot that I am religious about in scuba, but this is one of them.

On a liveaboard, I don't mind if the staff swaps the cylinder out. But I specifically ask them not to hook up the tank straps or the 1st stage.

I set up my own gear. If someone wants to help by lifting or carrying stuff so that it's close by, that's fine, but I would rather do even that myself. That said, I am glad to help anyone else if they need help and ask for it.

Now, if the question was "Do you prefer someone help you wash up your gear, or do you prefer washing it by yourself?"... I have been trying to teach wife and kids to wash their own gear but somehow, they refuse to learn.

The most sympathy that I get is that they are willing to watch the hose filling the cleaning tank while I go back and forth to the car to fetch all the scuba sets. Makes you wonder why some choose solo diving path :p

As I know in some country, DM, dive guide, or maybe the boat crew helps you set up your gear, even changing bottles during SI. My wife thinks this is great service, because her husband will double check the gear for her, and also saves divers energy, saves time, and makes the diving tour easier, so we tip them.

Just for discussion, do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer set up by yourself?

What I would really love is for someone to tear down my gear and clean it service. That is the worst part about finishing up a 6+hr deco dive. How nice would it be to have someone strip down your rebreather rinse everything, pull the tanks of and fill them, dump your scrubber, Steramine everything, set your unit up to dry, rinse all your B/O regs, rinse your drysuite and hang it up, rinse your scooter, and put it on charge, etc. etc.

Now this would the ultimate luxury service. :yeahbaby: yeah yeah im sure some will jump in a say NO WAY they would let someone strip there unit down. Personally I would not care if the person doing it was trained a knew what they were doing. Basically every rental unit is like. Now setting it up that is a different story, this should always be done by the person diving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom