A few recent photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab

Contributor
Reaction score
I took a previous thread from Dee off subject yesterday, so I figured I would open a new thread to put up a few pictures from a trip to Tacoma last week.
crab.jpg

octo2.jpg

nudi1.jpg

Now, to set things right, someone can feel free to post an unrelated reply!

Adios!

By the way... my namesake, Giant Octopus suckers, and an Alabaster Nudi. In that order.

What kind of crab is that?

Hello everyone. Thanks for your comments.

Dee: I am still trying to ID the crab. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it!

gemma: Tacoma is in the state of Washington. It's just south of Seattle and just north and east of Olympia.

Juv: This was my first Alabaster Nudi as well. I hope to see many more. Being as conspicuous as they are, if there are any around, they should be hard to miss.

Thanks again everyone for your comments/questions!

Dee,

I did a little investigating and found out that the crab is a Northern Kelp Crab (Pugettia Producta). I've discovered that one great side-effect of photography is critter identification. It's time to go find some more!

By the way, don't you love the irony of me not being able to ID this crab in the first place! Perhaps I should change my name to something less specific, like goop or thing or something like that...

crab once bubbled...
....Perhaps I should change my name to something less specific, like goop or thing or something like that...

Don't go too drastic!

I agree, photographers seem to be the most curious about fish and critter ID's. Until Beast started taking pictures, his descriptions were more along the lines of blue fish, yellow fish, round flat gray fish! Now he's at least got the basic families identified!

Since I dive the Caribbean, I know nothing about the fish and critters in your part of the pond. I'll try to pay attention!

I think your crab might be a "Northern Kelp Crab"

from my critter book for the Pacific Northwest the description reads:

Habitat: In kelp beds and on pilings intertidal to 240ft

Description: Smoth, typically clean carapice, red to olive. Front margin straight or slightly curved between lateral teeth. Underside yellow or scarlet. Long slender legs end in sharp points.

Comments: Favourite food of sea otters. Has sharp spines and strong claws.

think it's a match?

Back
Top Bottom