A Few trips with Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say a little homework goes a long way. Future trip reports:
  • Hated the drift dives in Coz!
  • What's with all the manta rays in Yap?
  • California diving has cold water!
  • Cave diving is just a bunch of wet rocks!
:rofl3:

j/k wichha. Nobody in the Keys is going to assume you need help to set up your gear, and I only know of one op that even puts an (optional) guide in the water. Did you at least ask if one of the two boats was going deep if that's what you wanted?

I did do some homework (perhaps not enough), I read what many had to say on this site and a couple of others sites. And I did call the shop and asked what type of dives they did, and again I say, they said they do shallow 30-40 ft; mid level 40-70ft?; and deep 100+ft. And this I was ok with. When I got to the dock I was put on a boat when asked where we might go that day I got the elbow and I asked the depths and was told 40 ft. So I did ask about the other boat and if it was going deeper, but was never given the chance to get on the other boat.

One day I did go to the deeper wrecks and they were cool, I never said i didn't get to them, its just 3 days in 30-40ft and 1 day at a deep wreck isn't what I was told when I booked.

As far as the setting up my gear and such, I wasn't ripping on Silent World about it, all I was trying to do is tell people what to expect as I was surprised.

FYI yes last year I dove in Hawaii on Oahu for 80$ with a DM in the water, the shop at the dock, no need to lug my weights around town, and they had a place to put my gear between dive days. And I had dives between 35-70 ft plus deep wrecks.

Divesites let's see one day we did Molasses and I went by 3 different mooring balls (I would guess different dive sites) And then another day we were on I think midreef and the Captain said to go north for Mike's wreck, do midreef, or go south for fingers. I did all three. I had already been to Mike's so I didn't need to spend the whole time there, but thought I would go back and see if I missed anything (usually do). At 30 ft it was the hour limit that made me come up not air, which was the case of most of us on board (and I understand only get use all my air up when I take out a private boat or do a liveaboard).

:14: Cool,
I'm sorry the op was not up to your expectations. Like it's been said several times on this thread.... pampered diving is almost never done in the Keys. We'll do safe diving though. And I'm surre that if you asked for help or a dive master you would have gotten it. I know what it's like to do the pampered diving. I've been to the Bahamas an several other caribbean distinations and know exactly what your talking about.

Don't give up on the Keys. I consider the diving to be awesome and like i said... I've been around:14:

Divesites let's see one day we did Molasses and I went by 3 different mooring balls (I would guess different dive sites) And then another day we were on I think midreef and the Captain said to go north for Mike's wreck, do midreef, or go south for fingers. I did all three. I had already been to Mike's so I didn't need to spend the whole time there, but thought I would go back and see if I missed anything (usually do). At 30 ft it was the hour limit that made me come up not air, which was the case of most of us on board (and I understand only get use all my air up when I take out a private boat or do a liveaboard).
Molasses is a very popular spur and groove site, and one of my favorites. It has a number of mooring balls as a result, however, this doesn't necessarily denote different sites (the Spiegel, for instance, has 8 mooring balls, I believe). The ops will sometimes divide it into a north and south dive because it's so large. I imagine if you're shooting through it, you can cover the entire reef. Probably just a matter of personal preference. I tend to take it slower, especially on a reef as comprehensive as Molasses, because since it has such a diverse marine population it's easy to miss much of what it has to offer.

Congrats on having a respectable SAC. On a non-private op 45 minutes to an hour dive is usually the norm (at least in the Keys).

Bottom line, I think better communication with the op beforehand would better set expectations, and you'd be much happier camper. The Florida Keys have so much to offer, from walls to reefs, to drifts, to both artificial and natural wrecks, and from christmas tree worms and blennies, to goliath groupers, eagle rays, morays, loggerheads and leatherbacks, to reef, nurse, bulls, and the occasional hammerhead... Not to mention the variety of coral itself... Lots to enjoy...

Dive safe...

As for the people, that's were I was the most disappointed. For a customer service industry I just didn't see very much customer service. Most other places I have dove the DM would set up the gear, or at least offer to do so, not here. Most other places there is a guide in the water, nope not here. The shop and the dock were several miles apart, so I had to drive from one to the other, which isn't very convenient. At the beginning of my trip I had to sign the boat release and pick up weight. Then I had to lug my gear and weights to and from the dock everyday. After my last dives I again had to go back to the shop and return the weights.

Were there good people working there, yes, but overall I can't say I had a very good dive trip with them. Thanks for letting me rant.

Yes, they don't run a coddle-boat.

I have been diving with Silent World and really enjoyed it.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't want anybody setting up my gear for me. Heck, I don't even want them to touch it. Granted that I now dive with a rebreather and anyone will "get hurt" that touches it. I am much more comfortable if I did the setup myself - something to do with trust issues I guess.

Most other places I have dove the DM would set up the gear, or at least offer to do so, not here. Most other places there is a guide in the water, nope not here. The shop and the dock were several miles apart, so I had to drive from one to the other, which isn't very convenient. At the beginning of my trip I had to sign the boat release and pick up weight. Then I had to lug my gear and weights to and from the dock everyday. After my last dives I again had to go back to the shop and return the weights. QUOTE]

And we LIKED it that way!

Surprised to hear this, as Silent World is very highly regarded by most on this board.

Again, I don't see the issue here. Are you suggesting that somehow the enjoyment/sights/beauty/color/diversity of a reef dive is directly related to its depth? There are a number of deeper dives, off Islamorada if you're looking for deeper reefs (Alligator Deep, Crocker, Conch Wall, etc.), and off both Largo and Islamorada, if you're looking for deep (recreational) wrecks (Spiegel, Duane, Bibb, Eagle). A single inquiry to the Op would have advised you as to the depth, type of dive, characteristics, etc., of each site. I don't see that as the fault of the Dive Op.

Just out of curiosity, what three dive sites did you "cover" in a single dive? (Although with your rocket-powered DPV, I can understand you missing some of the finer details of those sites).

Sorry to hear of the difficulty and tribulations... Guess those of us that enjoy the Keys' Ops are just used to roughin' it....

I have to agree with you. I have always felt that silent world is a top notch shop.
I must have been to Molasses hundreds of times(dive/snorkel) and those 20-35 ft depths still thrill me like they did the first time.

There are only two Upper Keys ops that I know who put a DM/guide in the water with their customers as their standard and that's Rainbow Reef and Key Dives. If you had posted what you expected, I can assure you that you would have received appropriate suggestions

Most of the locals don't use these two operators because we tend to be comfortable handling our own gear set-up and finding what the reef has to offer on our own. We look for operations that have strategically located docks and fast boats to maximaize our bottom time. :D

I can assure you the three mile drive to Silent World's boat by car was much shorter than the boat ride from the bayside where their shop is located.

Funny you mention distance. I was leaving from Tavernier creek with my boat last week in route to the Elbow and half way there I said this is too far(for me).
It is about 18 miles so i went to Molasses instead. The next time I want to go to the ""Northern Sites I will use silent world.

I have not gotten around to diving with Silent World yet, but based on the posts in this thread, I'm about to book a trip with them.

I hate being coddled on a dive boat. I'm glad to hear that they don't do underwater babysitting. I don't need it, I don't want it. And don't even THINK about touching my gear!!!

But if some handsome cabana boy wants to tote my tanks, well, be my guest, gorgeous! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Note to handsome tank-toting cabana boys: I tip well. :eyebrow: But don't touch my gear!!! :mooner:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom