A Few trips with Silent World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many ops in the Keys will change gear over between dives, but I don't know of any that will set the gear up before the first dive for several reasons:

1. The Idea of rooting around someones dive bag is not cool.
2. Most expirianced divers develope preferences on set up.
3. (This one should be the most important reason...)Watching someone set up their gear can be a very useful assesment tool. This can give the observant DM indications as to who to keep an eye on.
4. (...,but in reality this is.) If you set up your gear and there is a problem with it the opporator is not held liable.

Safe dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

I was actually underimpressed with Silent World during my dives with them as well. I agree with most folks here that I wouldn't want anyone but me setting up my own gear, where the DM/Instructors failed to me was the other aspects of preparation. We were essentially dumped off at the sites with no reference on where to go or what to look for. It felt more like I was simply buying a taxi service from land to the sites.

This is a bad thing for two reasons:
1. Having a DM in the water who knows the area means that you could see things that you otherwise might miss. I'd never done any dives on the 'Grove and even though I'm an experienced diver and comfortable exploring and navigating, it would have been helpful to have been explained "look for X at this point of the wreck and the goliaths usually hang out under the stern..." Draw it, show me specifics if you aren't going to send a DM down with us.
2. Safety: although many divers carry a AOW cert, few have done rescue courses, and may not be comfortable or capable of rescue in case of emergency. During my dives, a diver overstayed his bottom time and although he spent a long time doing safety stop, still ended up in a chamber a day or two later. Apparently He got excited over something and just didn't want to hear the computer. His own damn fault of course, but the DM is usually there to make sure you don't exceed bottom time and clear your computer properly if you do.

If you don't mind not having anyone to show you around or be an extra safety net, SW is a good place to log dives. As stated in earlier posts, they are cheap, quite close from dock to site in most cases, and allow you the freedom to do dives on your own terms.
However, I've done dives in Florida, Asia, and Europe, and certain parts of the original post sounded familiar to me, as I felt I got the least from the DMs at Silent World.

I was actually underimpressed with Silent World during my dives with them as well. I agree with most folks here that I wouldn't want anyone but me setting up my own gear, where the DM/Instructors failed to me was the other aspects of preparation. We were essentially dumped off at the sites with no reference on where to go or what to look for. It felt more like I was simply buying a taxi service from land to the sites.

This is a bad thing for two reasons:
1. Having a DM in the water who knows the area means that you could see things that you otherwise might miss. I'd never done any dives on the 'Grove and even though I'm an experienced diver and comfortable exploring and navigating, it would have been helpful to have been explained "look for X at this point of the wreck and the goliaths usually hang out under the stern..." Draw it, show me specifics if you aren't going to send a DM down with us.
2. Safety: although many divers carry a AOW cert, few have done rescue courses, and may not be comfortable or capable of rescue in case of emergency. During my dives, a diver overstayed his bottom time and although he spent a long time doing safety stop, still ended up in a chamber a day or two later. Apparently He got excited over something and just didn't want to hear the computer. His own damn fault of course, but the DM is usually there to make sure you don't exceed bottom time and clear your computer properly if you do.

If you don't mind not having anyone to show you around or be an extra safety net, SW is a good place to log dives. As stated in earlier posts, they are cheap, quite close from dock to site in most cases, and allow you the freedom to do dives on your own terms.
However, I've done dives in Florida, Asia, and Europe, and certain parts of the original post sounded familiar to me, as I felt I got the least from the DMs at Silent World.

Most dive ops put do not put a DM in the water(in the keys) but are available for an extra fee to alleviate any concerns divers may have. For some it might be money well spent

I way prefer finding my own way to being led (and generally distracted) by a dive master. If someone doesn't feel up to the dive, they can hire a dive master. I just want a boat ride and if I **** it up, at least I'll know who ****ed it up.

But if some handsome cabana boy wants to tote my tanks, well, be my guest, gorgeous! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Note to handsome tank-toting cabana boys: I tip well. :eyebrow: But don't touch my gear!!! :mooner:

Do you mean like in "Night of the Iguana" ?
Which gear?

I have never had a DM set up my stuff walk it back and forth from my car and back again. I am just fine with that. I would prefer to set-up my own gear for the simple fact that I don't trust anyone else setting up my gear but me. I also would not want someone I dont know going through my dive bag potentially losing some of my valuable dive kit.

Some of my friends have gone to tropical destinations and the DM's did everything, but it was advertised as being that way. Did Silent World advertise they they will do all of this? my experience is that most ops do not do everthing for you. I am also very dubious of a person with only 3 posts that writes such a bad review.

I had one dive trip with Silient World and it was the last drive trip with Silent World. It had nothing to do with not being "coddled" and more to do with my comfort and safety while on the dive.

We dive Key Largo as much as we can and we always use the same boat. I do need some help and this boat has always been such a pleasure to dive with. We set up our own equipment, but usually the staff helps change over to the second tank for me. Heck, Captain Marvel once opened my air for me before I entered the water, I'm glad I was "coddled". I'm not a perfect human and sometimes need the extra help.

I've read tons of very positive stuff about Silent World on scubaboard.com. And I know one of their instructions is a very smart and savvy diver, she's the best! And everyone has a bad day here and there. I just know that BlueWater Divers of Key Largo is a smaller boat (I think up to 10 divers) and that's the kind of boat I should be on since I do need a little help here and there (I have fibromyalgia).

I don't think a DM on dives is a standard in Florida, but if you need one, they are worth every penny for the service. Most are local divers with excellent knowledge of what's happening locally!

I love Key Largo!!! Heck, I love Florida!

I had one dive trip with Silient World and it was the last drive trip with Silent World. It had nothing to do with not being "coddled" and more to do with my comfort and safety while on the dive.
....Heck, Captain Marvel once opened my air for me before I entered the water, I'm glad I was "coddled". I'm not a perfect human and sometimes need the extra help.

I'm not sure I follow 100%
Are you saying that Silent world is an unsafe operation? How so?
You forgot to turn your air on and you feel it is the operations responsibility to do it for you? Please don't take this as a flame, as it's not my intent. I can be slow and dense sometimes, and I just didn't understand the post.:11doh:
:lotsalove:

Heck, Captain Marvel once opened my air for me before I entered the water, I'm glad I was "coddled". I'm not a perfect human and sometimes need the extra help.
I really recommend you develop yourself a pre-dive system of checks to go through to prevent that from happening. And then go through it the same way every time. That way you don't have to rely on Captain Marvel or anyone else.

As an example of part of my system, right before standing up I take three deep breaths off my reg while watching my pressure gauge (if the value has been pressurized and then turned off the pressure gauge will show it). I also give the inflator a quick tap before I giant stride into the deep blue. And bubble checks and an s-drill once I'm in the water.

Your system doesn't have to look like mine, the important things are that your system is comprehensive and that you do it the same each and every time.

Silent World's boats hold ten divers.
I'm with Jimi :confused:

I'm fairly "up" with fibromyalgia as my Mom was diagnosed recently after chemo treatment for ovarian cancer. Some of her transient symptoms are inability to concentrate and loss of cognitive function and I'm told this affects nearly 80% of those diagnosed. I'm not a diving doctor but these seem like contraindications to diving to me. I sincerely hope you're disclosing your condition to the operators you dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom