A fight with a SHARK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeeter1097

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My douther, soninlow and me. 75ft. in a fast moving golf stream { about 2.7mph]. We where on a reef in Palm Beach, Fl. Just riden the stream having a grat time. Vis was 50 to 60 and lots of life. Out of no where came a smal shark 31/2 ft. right in my face. First I pushed it away, then I punched it in the head. But he came back agin right under my arm pit. So I punched it agin, right back he came . My soninlow Steve was trying to stop me. At this time I was getting angry. This shark was swimming around my douther and she was tuching it. Thin it came after me agin so I was punching it agin.After 10 min. it finly left.
After the dive was over and we where in the boat my soninlow asked me. Way was I punching that arora I thain that was the name. It was the sucker fish that hangs on to sharks. I thought it was a little skark. He probly wonted a ride.
Its funny now but it was not at the time. For me anywas!!

Haha, that is actually funny............

lol. BTW, they can and will latch on to you. I've never had it happen, but others here have. BTW, it's a remora.

I was also a little freaked out for a little bit the first time I saw remoras circling me... They really do look like little sharks.

Never seen a 3 1/2 ft remora. The ones I see are much smaller, only about 12 to 18 inches.

My last dive on 9/17 we had a few, one attached to my buddies leg. They do have a sharky look about them.

I one suck onto me once while snorkling, pried him off and he sucked on me again. It feels really weird on bare skin. Had to lightly beat him on the head with my pole spear shaft to get him to leave me alone. He looked sad and rejected as he swam off...poor little guy, just looking for a a ride.

When they approach you, you need to look around, and ask Where did his other ride go? You may have a shark or big cuda sneaking around somewhere. In the case above, it was a big old barnacle-covered cuda snooping around just outside the limits of visibility.

Oh man...a 3+' remora. Wow, sticking that on some tourist would be awesome. No wait...as a diving professional, I would never condone the abuse of marine creatures and innocent tourists.
If I did sick stuff like that though, well, it's the stuff of dreams. I'm sure glad that I'm above that stuff now. 3 1/2' and up there in West Palm huh?

I think you just created a new language called Engrish. congwadurations pal!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom