A funny thing happened on the PADI way to a c-card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrians

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I havent kept a log since I got a NAUI card in 1969. 30-50 dives every year since on my same, beat up card.
I signed up for a dive charter this winter and they won't let me play in the water without it so I'm getting an AOW certification with a PADI instructor. We were doing a "deep dive" this weekend and I was severely admonished and told to smarten up when we surfaced from 90 ft.

The reason????

For the 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet, I was hovering instead of holding onto the rope with the 4 other pupils. I was told I could have rocketed to the surface uncontrollably.
I asked about anything deeper and was told that's a specialty course.

Oh. I promised to never take chances like that again.

They felt better.

Wow, the PADI instructors I know would have complimented you for your proper weighting & form.

Unless there's a current nobody shoul be required to hold the line for the safety stop. Heck they should encourage hovering for it.

Well, your a better fellow than I........I would have said, I have been doing this since he was squirting yellow.......leave me alone.........

I havent kept a log since I got a NAUI card in 1969. 30-50 dives every year since on my same, beat up card.
I signed up for a dive charter this winter and they won't let me play in the water without it so I'm getting an AOW certification with a PADI instructor. We were doing a "deep dive" this weekend and I was severely admonished and told to smarten up when we surfaced from 90 ft.

The reason????

For the 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet, I was hovering instead of holding onto the rope with the 4 other pupils. I was told I could have rocketed to the surface uncontrollably.

They felt better.
Classic, I suspect that the instructor never considered it, because he never attempted it, because those that trained him couldn't do it. It is a problem in all agencies, not just PADI, bizarre rationalizations and dire warnings to make up for a lack of skills on the part of the "leadership" types. :D

In addition to what Thal says the instructor, knowing the typical low skill level of his AOW students, is concerned about control of the class. Since he/she didn't make sure their skill levels were really up to a deep dive (or maybe any dive at all), he/she prudently prefers to have them kneeling on the bottom or hanging onto a rope. It's not diving. It's underwater breathing, kneeling and climbing.

That is a shame. And this guy is an instructor? I had two 60 plus yr old Ow students doing checkouts yesterday. Both had no problems holding a stop without grabbing the line. They were right by it and had their hands on it palms flat but they were not grabbing it. I wonder how he would have reacted if he saw my OW students doing their skill evaluations begin by getting in a horizontal position off of the platform with just their fin tips touching it?

The reason????

They felt better.

You should direct them to this thread! Seriously.

Wow if I saw a student showing that type of control I would have applauded him and made the other students take notice.

PadI trains divers to swim in the vertical position bicycle kicking the reef to smithereens and dog paddling frantically with their arms and stirring up a silt cloud that can be seen from the moon and they blame reef damage on global warming, nah, it is PadI at fault.

When you are feet down, kicking for all you are worth, yes, you have passed PadI Peak Bouyancy merit badge!

You actually thought a PadI instructor knew how to dive, wrong.

Do I love bashing PadI, do bears s---t in the woods?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom