A good BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jashanley

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to intrude ladies. However I was put to the task of finding my girlfriend a good BC. I have been looking at the Seaquest bc's (libra, diva qd and diva lx) along with the Sherwood Luna. I was wondering if you all had opinions about these specific bc's: Comfort, fit, jacket versus back-inflation, warm and cold water diving, colors, price, etc......so I have something to show her and let her decide in the end. The problem is that the research is the hardest part. I'd like to thank everyone for their input in advance.:D

Hi jashanley,

I have heard good things about all of the BC's you mentioned as well as the Zeagle Zena. The best thing I can recommend for you to do, in addition to asking questions here, is to take her to your LDS and have her try on as many different BC's as possible. The most ideal thing would be to have her try them in the pool, but if you can't do that, have her put on a light weight T-shirt so she is not fighting the bulk of her regular street clothes and start trying.

Have her take her time with each one. Move her arms, bend and straighten, lean to the side, adjust the straps, play with anything and everything she can on each BC. Find the one she likes the most, make note of the size and style, then come back in a day or two and have her try it again to make sure she still likes it. If she is still in love with that particular BC, then that's the one you buy.

Just my take on things.

PS, Welcome to Scuba Board. Glad to see you just jumping in with both feet.

Don't forget to look at other brands and models of BC's, not just stuff for the ladies. Very few women are built like the models the companies use! :wink:

If she's long wasted or wide shouldered or narrow hipped or big busted....these are things that don't necessarily fit into a stock size BC. I would suggest looking at Zeagle, or others, that have a modular sizing system. For instance, she may need a medium to wide shoulder and a small waist and need it lengthened. (My dream shape!). Or medium shoulders and ex-large waist...either way, the seperate components can be mixed to get a perfect fit for her.

LadyDiver has some good advice. Try it on, several times, with and without a tank. A tryout in the pool would be great if you can.

And don't neglect the BP/Wings systems (gee, did I say that? :crazyeyes: ).

Often from what I have seen, they do very well with accomodating a ladies shape since they fit more like a hiking backpack than a tight vest.

A lot of the things you mention come down to personal shape and preference. For example, I bought the Diva QD a couple of months ago. It fits me really well (this is a big deal because I am small and have struggled with rental BCs). I prefer jacket-style BCs and I have the all-black version because the girly purple one makes me cringe. Your girlfriend may think I'm crazy (or to put it more politely, she may be a different shape and have different taste).

Something else you might want to consider: If she is small and/or short-backed, check how much flexibility she will have in positioning her tank. I find I have very little.

I sometimes wonder whether I should have stumped up for the better pockets and extra lift of the Diva LX, but I wanted to have some money left to go diving.

Happy shopping,

Zept

I am with Zept. I am very happy with my Diva LX BCD. I will also echo what Ladydiver and Dee said thought about different shapes and different BCD's. I am like Zept in that I am fairly petite and therefore the jacket fit is a comfortable one.

Several of my diving girlfriends like the Ladyhawk. I think the weight pockets are more comfortably placed that on many other BCD's.

If you do consider the Diva then I would recommend the LX over the QD if she is interested in underwater photography or plans to carry many extra dive lights, slates, etc. I dove with a loaner QD before I bought my LX and found that I needed those extra d-rings

Happy Shopping!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

The Lovely Young Kat (my bride) uses the Diva QD and loves it. She is 5'9" and "well built."
My daughter (5'4" - average build for her height) has a smaller Diva QD and loves it too.
Rick

Don't limit yourself to only to BCs that are labelled as "designed for women".

Basically, it's a matter of going out & TRYING on various models with the different types of exposure protection that will be used. For example, I have an full 1/8" suit and a drysuit. That's a pretty broad range when you add in the various thicknesses of insulation one can add under the drysuit.

Eventually I wound up with one of the new designs: an Aeris that is a hybrid back/side unit with lots of lift.

And of course the next step is TEST DRIVING it in the pool...

Good luck!

~SubMariner~

Try as many as you can get your hands on WITH THE EXPOSURE SUIT and tank she plans to use. If she is wearing a drysuit make sure that the extra bodice material on some of the women's bc's does not block access to the inflator valve.

-K

I have the Diva QD, and can't bring myself to get rid of it! I've thought about the Diva Lux..but I'm kind of attached!

But, I do agree with what other people have said...just because it is a "womans" BC doesn't mean that it is made for all women. I like the Diva because I'm short (5'2") and the backpack ends in the small of my back, so it doesn't "bump my butt" like other BCs do. But, I know many women who dive with what is now known as "men's" BCs. Don't think about them as being designed for women or men...just find one that is comfortable for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom