A good regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepy

Reaction score
What kind of equipment has a good, reliable regulator service? I want to buy my new and first regulator at a shop, which do have an excellent service too. But how can I check it? There are some in Hungary only with a "diploma", that they have finished a course of reg. service. I do not think that it would be possible a good maintenance with only a screw-driver.

Can you restate your question? I'm not sure what you are asking...

Do you want a reg brand/model with a good performance and service record? Or are you looking for a recommendation of someone to service your gear when required?

Regulator service by brand doesn't matter much if the shop carries that brand. The only factor would be the ability of the shop to get the parts. Not all shops service all regs. Some shops send them out to be serviced some have a technician in house to do it. If your shop is in house I would ask to see his factory certifications. Most manufacturers have training for technicians. I won't take my equipment to a shop with a sloppy work area. If I see the work bench scattered with parts and tools I move on.

I can't really comment on brands except to say stick with a good name brand because parts and service are easier to get.

Scott

So my question is:So far as I know if I buy a regulator I have to return it for service every year or after 50 dives. I do not trust the Hungarian shops and technicians, I know that they will not send the regs back to the manufacturers or to a better technicians. To ask about the factory certification is a good idea. But my question is, are there any special machines to measure the performance of the regulator, can I ask for a result of the check in form of a printed results of a measuring instrument. (If I bring my car for service to a workroom, I get such measurements.)

The only machines I know of that measure performance are from official testing labs. I have never gotten a report back from getting my regs serviced. You can ask for the old parts back to verify they were replaced but I believe a certain amount of trust is involved. If your gut tells you the shop isn't very good I would make arrangements to send it to one that you do trust. I am here in the US and I am very lucky to have many shops to choose from. I hope you are able to find one that you trust.

Over all regulators are pretty simple devices that don't fail very often (I've never know one to completly fail). I wouldn't recommend it but you could go for more than 1 year between services however you may be voiding the warranty.

Scott

When you take your reg to be serviced once a year, all that really means is an overhaul. Which means they change out the o-rings, and the few parts that will show wear and tear after a year of useage. That really does not require alot of training. BUT...in order to be able to sell that gear, they should have a "repair certificate" from the manufacturer saying that someone currently working in the repair dept. is trained to overhaul that particular regulator. They train the other repair employees to do overhauls until they can attend the next manufacturer's training seminar. All overhauls should be done under supervision.

I think most repair shops have a machine to test the intermediate pressure and cracking pressure. I forgot what they are called..but they tell the technicians what needs to be adjusted on the regulator.

I think your best bet is to ask if your shop can test your reg and the intermediate pressure for adjustment. They should be able to do it without any problem...ask if you can watch and learn.

(note: I am not a repair tech...but I have learned how to overhaul my own reg (under supervision) so I know its not that complicated)

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom