A good start to my vintage rig...(I think)!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As many of you know, I've been tossing around the idea of a vintage rig for a while now, and I think I have my first pieces. My girlfriend got talking to a client on the phone at work, scuba came up, and found out his neighbour had a bunch of gear he just wanted to get rid of. So we drove down and took the lot. In the lot, was this Healthways/PST lp72, with a working J valve, plastic backpack, and harness. The whole thing is absolutely spotless, there is practically no paint chips, other than the hydro stamps.

Oh and Happy New Year.:D

Jim

SDC10970.JPG

SDC10971.JPG

SDC10972.JPG

SDC10973.JPG

The Healthways two hose would be a nice display piece to go with the tank but not a diver, stick with U S Divers or Voit regulators for diving.

Ditto Captain, for actual diving I would shy away from a Healthways regulator, at least until you have some twin hose time under your weight belt.

The tank is a beauty however, a rare find in the orange and so clean, good for you.

N

The healthways scuba deluxe breathes pretty well, but it's cheaply made. You can usually buy a good one for about $50.00. If you put USDivers hoses and a mouth piece on it it will function well, provided it's plastic high pressure seat is okay. If you want a good single stage reg that can be rebuilt and has good parts to start with, get a US Divers Mistral. They rock! Do not confuse the Mistral I'm talking about with the POS that Aqualung came out with in the last few years. That thing was a non starter. The pre 1970 Mistral will blow it away. VDH has a Mistral for sale right now thats rebuilt and ready to go. It's worth the money. Try it you'll like it!

Jim

I'll be doing some double hose research over the next few months. The DA Aquamaster sounds like my best option, in terms of being readily available, and serviceable, but I'll have a look at the Mistral as well.

Thanks guys.

I'll be doing some double hose research over the next few months. The DA Aquamaster sounds like my best option, in terms of being readily available, and serviceable, but I'll have a look at the Mistral as well.

Thanks guys.
Just to be clear, you can get the Mistral serviced just as easily as the Aquamaster. In fact currently the Mistral has a new replacement HP seat available whereas the aquamaster currently does not. The Aquamaster may be a little more plentiful, but the Mistral is pretty easy to find also. Don't overlook the Mistral being sold by VDH that SwimJim mentioned. The regs he sells are really bargains when you consider all the new replacement parts that he puts into them. And that they are totally serviced inside & out.

Got another $213? If so, then get this tonight and complete the set.

Healthways Scuba Two Hose Regulator - eBay (item 150290394036 end time Jan-30-09 16:20:31 PST)

Or, get a DA or a Mistral as I just don't know about parts for the Healthways regs.

Nice score by the way.

Pete

There are three generations of the Healthways Scuba regulators. This is the second generation, and is not a good breathing regulator. This is the blue label Scuba, and even if it says "Scuba Deluxe" it does not have a venturi assist on the single stage valve. If you go for a Healthways two-hose regulator, go for the gold label Scuba Deluxe, as it has a very effective venturi system in the valve (a venturi jet which is pointed down the intake hose). This regulator is not, IMO, worth $200+.

If you go with a Healthways, you should replace the hose/mouthpiece system with a USD system, as the Healthways system was undersized. If this is done, then you will have a very nice single stage system with a mushroom valve exhaust in the case.

The question about the HP seat is a non-starter, as the HP seat for the Healthways Scuba two hose regulators was always superior to the US Divers Co. equivalent. It has a reversible seat, which is O-ring sealed. The valve is nylon, and has withstood many years of both storage and diving.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Jim,
Nice start on the tank and back pack/harness-

I too am new at the vintage and picked up a sweet DA Aqua Master and had SwimJim give it a go over,then a steel 72 and wow a great gift was given to me a plastic dacor back plate and harness from SwimJim and relatives.
I got the round mask and the next thing you know I am diving with the group from;
Vintage Double Hose
in Weekiwachee Springs Fl.
One or two things I have found out and these guys above are pros!
is for sure if using the plate get to a pool to get your lead right I have to say its a blast to dive with out a BCD
Second after you get your reg have it serviced by some one who knows what they are doing-and then get in the water with one of these pro's and have them set the tank to reg height on your backpack and show you how to clear the reg by rolling-Diving vintage has its nuances and I do like the freedom,easy of use and like having the air bubbles behind my head!for photo/video,and best yet them old regulators seem to work great if you get/service them right! I was told different by one Dive shop owner/Capt. as he said Quote" Those dam double hose regulators dint work back then and they don't work now!" Too Bad he is wrong!
I am so lucky my instructor is only a few miles away!and is a great teacher!
Thanks SWIMJIM!
Brad
da_aqua.jpg

weekiwachi_dive_class_vintage.jpg

There are three generations of the Healthways Scuba regulators. This is the second generation, and is not a good breathing regulator. This is the blue label Scuba, and even if it says "Scuba Deluxe" it does not have a venturi assist on the single stage valve. If you go for a Healthways two-hose regulator, go for the gold label Scuba Deluxe, as it has a very effective venturi system in the valve (a venturi jet which is pointed down the intake hose). This regulator is not, IMO, worth $200+.

If you go with a Healthways, you should replace the hose/mouthpiece system with a USD system, as the Healthways system was undersized. If this is done, then you will have a very nice single stage system with a mushroom valve exhaust in the case.

The question about the HP seat is a non-starter, as the HP seat for the Healthways Scuba two hose regulators was always superior to the US Divers Co. equivalent. It has a reversible seat, which is O-ring sealed. The valve is nylon, and has withstood many years of both storage and diving.

SeaRat

John

How is a Healthways seat reverseable? Would I be able to do the same thing with an aluminum bodied Divair? I own the Scuba Deluxe and the Gold labeled Healthways. As you mentioned, the Gold label is a better breather. IMHO the USD Mistral had a better seat. I can resurface and reuse those if need be. I also have a Divair that I can't get to seat properly. If i could do something with that, I'd be half way home. I'm trying to make a diaphragm for it too.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom